3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: To silence a widow.....  (Read 777 times)

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
To silence a widow.....
« on: February 13, 2008, 08:42:00 PM »
Well G'day all.

A day ago I was tinkering with my 2 BlackWidow PSAX bows (as one does when it raining!) and I was playing with the sliencers, or more so the positioning, to work out what bow shot more quite than the other.    :coffee:    I must add too that my bows IMHO were NOT noisey to start with.    :cool:  

Here are there specs: a PSAX Osage, 73#@30" and a 60" bow, the other being a PSAX KingWood, 63#@30" and also a 60" bow.

Both bows had the same brace height, that being 8 1/2" as well as the same nocking point, fitted with a brass nock. The same bow quiver from BW ( I'm not sure of the name but it's the 5/7 arrow option quiver) Also in the quiver each bow had 7 timber arrows to suit that bows poundage and spine requirements. So to say other than timer types and bow poundage these two where same bow.

Now, where I normally place my string sliencers is at the 1/4 and the 1/3 position on the string, 4 in total and always usen the Woolie Whisper type as I've found (up until yesterday) these work best for me.

I wont go into to much detail all about my trils as such, so I'll just cut to the chase.

What I found was "super-quite" (to both me, my wife and son) was a combo of still keeping the Woolie whisper on the string @ the 1/4 postion (closer to the end of the limbs) and the Black Widow "Spider" String silencers placed at the 1/3 postion, closer to the riser. Take a looksee...

I tried shooting both bows with a combo of all four Woolies as well as four Spiders and found after testing for about an hour that the best combo was what's written above.

My testing also showed that my PSAX Osage was more quite when shot than my Kingwood, but only just, and it was a hevery bow too by 10 odd pounds!    :confused:  

I think I'll run with this combonation for a while untill something else works out for me. Oh.... I almost forgot, I also found this to be quiter than a Mountain muffler string too.

So if you snowed in, give this a test and see how things work out for you.

Regards,

A.K
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: To silence a widow.....
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
Thanks Alan, I'll have to give them a try on my MA11.

You have 2 bow-di-full bows. Love those Widows.

Alan

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 08:52:00 PM »
good stuff Al    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline heartshoth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »
AL

IF YOU'D SEND ME BOTH BOWS I WOULD BE HAPPY TO VERIFY OR DENY YOUR CLAIMS...THANKS FOR THE INFO...I'M ON IT FOR MY PSR'S AS WE SPEAK...

HEARTSHOT
BLACK WIDOW PSR X 2
KEMPF QWYKSTYK  X 2
Zipper SXT

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing your research. I will try that on my widows also.

David
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
Thanks for the tip Al.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 11:25:00 PM »
Good info , I have a couple BW's and use the "Bow Hush" with good results but I also have a bad ringing in my ears caused by years of construction work which really drives me crazy , but looking on the bright side all my bows have gotten quieter since the ringing started , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »
Aren't you suppose to be on vacation   :bigsmyl:  The new back yard looks nice!
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 05:03:00 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'll have to give it a try on my SAIII. BTW, I love that osage bow. Sweet!

Bill
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 05:05:00 PM »
I had a SAV Widow and I used bow hus and hush puppies,it really made it quiet.I would get comments on how quiet it was when shooting it.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 05:07:00 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. I have a 62", PMA V that is quiet as a church mouse. I use a combination of Bow Hush and Hush Puppies. I'm a LB guy, but really like my BW curve.  :thumbsup:

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »
Only a few days left Jo-Jo, head out again on the 18th, but this is vacationing!

I'd also be keen to hear from anyone who owns a Widow Longbow on where to place the silencers for that type of Bow? I've a new one turning up soon.

A.K
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 12:05:00 AM »
"Silence a widow"---Lord, man---you keep throwin softballs like that, and I am going to be in big trouble .....
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 12:47:00 AM »
Al, thanks for the info and keep your head down over there.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 08:31:00 AM »
Beautiful bows!Love the Osage!!

Need some antler limb bolts on that osage widow now too......

#73??I'd hurt myself......

BTW,are those footed shafts for the osage widow??If so,what type footing??They look NICE!
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 04:06:00 PM »
Thanks Mike, but 73# is doable, one just has to have it in his mind to want to do it. The osage is my "Big Game" bow and I've got a wild scrub bull hunt tucked up my sleve when I've the free time.

Oh and your right on saying it needs some antler limb bolts to. I must look into getting another set from somewhere.

The footed shafts are a gift from Joseph when he stayed over here. I think I still owe him ...

A.K

Offline Big'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »
Al haven't talked to you in a while. Sounds like your doing good though.

It's kind of funny that you have found the same results that I did about a month ago. My bow is a 60" PSAX Bocote 65@32" and not only is my silencing material the same as yours(2 WWs and 2 spiders) but the placement is spot on. My brace is a bit higher (8 3/4") but other than that we've got identical set ups.

What kinda weight you shooting on your arrows? Mine are right at 10gp#. Goodluck on your hunt. God Bless, DAVE
"If you want just one thing too much in life....Your life will likely be a disappointment" Augustus McCrae

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 05:15:00 PM »
G'day Dave,

mate my arrows for the KingWood (63#) are are 620gs-635gs so I guess thats in the 10g/p ball park that I try to aim for. I've had troubles getting good timbers for the Osage as the footed ones were under spined for that bow and shoot best out of the Kingwood, but for the test I used CX Hetitage 350s with a heap of FOC. The weight was 710gs + or - a few.

take care,

al

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 07:54:00 PM »
Al,

Very nice set ups.  Thanks for the pictures and the information.  With two sets of silencers, do you think you are loosing much performance?

Paul
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2008, 11:00:00 PM »
Hi Paul.

Mate I gave that some thought and talked it over with a close friend of mine that also is the leading bowyer here in Oz. He has heaps of hunting experance as well as having done more testing on the 4 string silencer option than I.
 To sum it up Paul, It always came down to a quiter bow when shot than a few F/s more speed.

A poor release with the same set up will rob more speed than having 4 string silencers. This was tested using a chrno too.

Works for me anyway...  :saywhat:  

A.K

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©