Author Topic: Arrow spine/deflection question  (Read 206 times)

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow spine/deflection question
« on: August 11, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
If the deflection of an arrow is .500 and the spine is 52 does that mean that the spine would be for a 52# bow? If this is correct then my arrows are spined about 10# light. I get decent arrow flight if my form stays good with a good release. My arrows are 30" with a 125 gr point but could easily be shortened to 28, would that help?
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow spine/deflection question
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
are you using the dynamic spine calculator? if so it has spots for the bows info and your arrows and you just mess with lengths/weights until the numbers are close to matching. a spine tester will only really give you a starting point, as dynamic spine changes once you add a broadhead, fletching and nock, etc, then length comes into play as well.how deep your shelf is also affects it to some extent,if the arrows tend to hit opposite the side of your shelf they are spined weak, the same side they are strong. i use the calculator for rough tuning and go from there, but it is usually very close, even got arrows tuned to my bendy handle bow that is 1 1/2" wide at the arrow pass.
Richard

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 06:06:00 PM »
Thanks for the info Richard, do you know where I can find the dynamic spine calculator?
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
heres the site i got mine from. it takes a little bit to figure it out but if you download the instructions they explain it pretty well. anything that doesnt make sense right away feel free to pm me with questions and ill see what i can do.    http://www.heilakka.com/dynamic.htm  easiest thing to remember is that longer shafts will have a lower spine than a shorter shaft, so this is the easiest thing to tune with. like i said earlier i used it to build arrows for my bendy handle bow and the wider handle is really no longer a handicap with the arrows i built with the info.
Richard

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »
Thanks again Richard..........James

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©