3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Little Fun.... Pick the Shot  (Read 4971 times)

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
A Little Fun.... Pick the Shot
« on: December 31, 2006, 09:37:00 AM »
When we were in Dallas over Christmas we made a stop over to Cabelas..... I was in hog heaven there....They had bar none the best Elk and Mule Deer displays I've ever seen......My wife took this picture and as I was looking at it I could see each Elk in a position I've actually encountered on my many Elk hunts and I started wondering how many good shot shots you guys would see here..... You've got an either sex Elk tag in the Rockies how many Elk are you going to loose an arrow at given the shot angles shown???

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Little Fun.... Pick the Shot
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 09:44:00 AM »
Only a possible two shots that I'd consider. the cow in front and the bedded bull.

LeRoy
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline Peckerwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 09:49:00 AM »
no shot for me for two reasons. 1. no good angle 2. I would be shaking to bad to control the shot.
Bill
NO matter where you go there you  are !

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 10:01:00 AM »
none for me either dagburnit..just like real elk hunting!LOL
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 10:20:00 AM »
Angles are all bad.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 10:34:00 AM »
As stated the cow in front needs to move her leg foward a bit...She's looking right at me though...Maybe she will turn away a little before she heads for that mountain top... ;) ...

>>-----> mike <-----<<
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 10:35:00 AM »
at that range, I agree with Golden Hawk. I could kill the bedded bull or the cow. Wouldn't shoot either any farther away
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline pointy sticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 10:44:00 AM »
Well I tend to shoot LONG heavy ash arrows   :knothead:  , but the angles are all wrong for a shot.
make em pretty and shoot em straight.

Secretary and Membership Chair
Bowhunters Association of Nova Scotia

Traditional Archers Association of Nova Scotia (member)

Archers Association of Nova Scotia (Member)

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 10:45:00 AM »
I dunno John, pretty substantial brush in front of the bedded bulls vitals    :saywhat:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Scott M

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 11:19:00 AM »
just the front cow with my blackwidow.

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 11:20:00 AM »
I don't think I'd have a shot I'd feel comfortable taking.  Thank God!  With that scenario in front of me, I'd be shaking way to badly to think about shooting!
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Offline houseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 11:21:00 AM »
I'd have to say just the cow.
Semper Fi

Offline huntwisely

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 11:33:00 AM »
None of them - the Cow is the best shot, but is looking at you and the angle in marginal - the bedded bull isn't clear and the others seem pretty alert that you are there

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006, 11:50:00 AM »
I would shoot both the cow and bedded bull. The cow at that close with a heavy arrow and sharp head and my 63# Kwyk Styk would blow right thru her, even a bit back of a shot is gonna kill her as an Elks vitals are pretty big. The bull and that brush looks pretty thin and whispy and ya could easily get one into his vitals. I will say the problem with posts like this are ya really cannot say until you have the real thing in front of you. If ya been hunting hard for weeks and have had no opportunity these shots take on a new meaning. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Aram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2006, 11:54:00 AM »
I'd sneak out of there. Four bulls one cow...   :scared: ... It's going to look like Beirut pretty soon.

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2006, 12:16:00 PM »
If ya been hunting hard for weeks and have had no opportunity these shots take on a new meaning.
[/b]

I'd have to disagree Shawn.....To me a bad shot angle on day one is no different than the same angle on day 21... I've been hunting Elk for 36 years now and though I've taken quite a few Cows I've yet to get my first Bull due to shot angles like those in the pics......So in my case a bad shot angle on season one is still a bad shot angle on season 37 coming up...... I only see one shot here the cow.... She is only slightly quartering too us and if you've seen the way an Elks legbone runs there's plenty of room to slip an arrow in there at this range....
Here's where I'd place my shot:

Years ago before I saw where the leg bone actually ran I passed this shot up more than once..... Since then I have succesfully harvested Elk with this shot....Here's where the leg bone is running:

On the bedded Bull there are a couple of twigs in there that I think would definitely deflect an arrow but more important if you look how that leg is folded up and back.... There's a lot of bone in the area you'd be wanting to hit.....These are my choices based on my experiences over the years in the Elk woods and are right for me with the equipment I choose to hunt with........I've been called overly selective over the years but I can live with that easier than losing one of these majestic critters to a bad shot..... There are so many things that can jump out to bite us at the moment of truth in the Elk woods I've just always tried to hedge things in my favor as much as possible.... Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2006, 01:27:00 PM »
Good stuff!

Maybe it is just me...but how come no one considers the other factors in game recovery?

"Open type" country, bald knobs, sparse aspen groves, country where you have a good chance of watching the animal for a good distance after you shoot weights heavily in my book.

Moist soil that shows tracks helps too.  If you have snow in your favor you have a huge advantage.

Do you have just a couple of animals to deal with or a couple of dozen...the confusion of tracks can make or break you.

Also, if it is early in the day then you have lots of time to unwind the puzzle.  Shots that I may take in the morning I may not even consider close to dark.

I imagine most of us with experience factor these and other considerations into our shoot/no shoot decisions.

To me, the animals body position is important but there are many other things that will tip me one way or another.

Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Offline TBone07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2006, 01:28:00 PM »
I would try and sneak an arrow through the big bull in the far right when he moves that right leg forward. I shot several doe deer that way and caught the right lung and the liver, also, you have to realize that elks vitals are a lot bigger than whitetails so I would feel comfortable with letting go of an arrow. If I'm lucky he might even turn left slightly when he moves that right front leg and you could lodge it into his far shoulder. Just my .02. What would happen if you just took a few steps to the left or the right? I bet that would change a bunch of your guy's answers... lol sorry I'm bored!

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2006, 01:39:00 PM »
AZ...Could you come over to my neck of the woods and stick green dots on the deer in my area?... :D ...That's such a great idea!... ;) ...

Happy New Year To All!!!...mike...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2006, 06:40:00 PM »
AZ agreed, but to some the pressure of the hunt changes their thinking. I would still kill both of them(I think)as I have never hunted elk, but know my shooting at that range and what my bows are capable of. That is why these threads are tough, just like deal or no deal. It is easy to say(for most)that ya would pass up the deal when you are sitting at home but when you are there, the money takes on a new meaning!! Respectfully, Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©