3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Little Fun.... Pick the Shot  (Read 4972 times)

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Little Fun.... Pick the Shot
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2006, 07:18:00 PM »
I hear ya Shawn..... I've been fortunate enough to hunt Elk out my back door most of my hunting life and within a few hours drive the rest....My DIY hunts don't put the money thing into the equation much but I can appreciate where you are coming from...... My wife is sending me on a guided Elk hunt in Colorado this Sept and it is a major chunk of change for us and a once in a lifetime deal for me..... I'm already feeling pressures I never have on previous hunts mainly with equipment choices..... The better half really wanted to get me one of those latest and greatest Mathews bows for the hunt but I think she finally realized it wouldn't be the same for me.... I'm going to hunt em the way I've enjoyed it for all these years and if I come home empty it will still be the experience of a lifetime for me...... I've got a lot of seasons under my belt for me to realize the core of the hunting experience for me lies in the experience not the kill but the kill is icing on the cake and doing it the right way makes it that much sweeter..... Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2006, 07:26:00 PM »
I'm with Shawn here...I'd put a Snuffer through the cow or the bull.

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2006, 07:32:00 PM »

shot is placed here on the cow...I'd lean out and stick the bull here

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2006, 07:36:00 PM »
looks like the cow is walking, so I'd probably wait until her leg stretched foreward...on the bull I'd either wait or try to lean out or slowly ease a few feet to the right...however, if I had to choose a shot right then and there, either would be in trouble.

Offline Dryrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2006, 09:29:00 PM »
I'd a already been busted and they'd be long gone.
Larry

Offline Mark U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2006, 11:45:00 PM »
The cow is a gimmee, even with the leg back.  The last picture with a red dot on the bedded bull is right where an elk has some of the heaviest bones in it's body, and they are compressed into a small area.  You could probably kill the bulls on the left and right before the bedded one at these shot angles.
So don't wait until you retire to go hunting and fishing.  Don't even wait for your annual vacation.  Go at every opportunity.  Things that appear urgent at the moment may, in the long run, turn out to be far less so.

Ted Trueblood

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2006, 11:47:00 PM »
ya, the bull is a little questionable...I'd have to be there to know for sure

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2006, 11:48:00 PM »
If I were already at full draw I suppose I could get a good arrow into that cow.  But you don't get many chances in life with 4 bulls that size that close, so there is no way I would let it go.  I would hold on and hope like heck that one of them would turn broadside for me before they all bust out of there!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2007, 03:04:00 AM »
Bedded critters do not leave a lot of room for a shot, no matter the angle.  Bones are moved around and elk have BIG bones.
ChuckC

Offline flatstick96

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2007, 03:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by TBone07:
I would try and sneak an arrow through the big bull in the far right when he moves that right leg forward. I shot several doe deer that way and caught the right lung and the liver, also, you have to realize that elks vitals are a lot bigger than whitetails so I would feel comfortable with letting go of an arrow. If I'm lucky he might even turn left slightly when he moves that right front leg and you could lodge it into his far shoulder.
This is exactly what I was thinking...
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
Cow and bedded bull. If I lean my body back 3 inches and shoot 1 of the 2 bright colored leaf's He is toast. I hope I have that shot on a bull like that someday!
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »
Sorry arrow4Christ. That dot is in the exact wrong spot.
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »
About the bull on the right. If he stays in that spot with his legs as they are. I could kill him, but I am not sure if I would find him. Therefore I pass. The other 2 are very close and I have shot through leaves many times at that distance with no ill effect.
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline infosponge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
For me---none! The ones you can get a clear shot of the vitals of, are either facing towards more than I like or their near-front leg should be allowed to take one more step to open the vital up a little. I'm a major stickler for my shot placement anyway...
Vegetarian--old indian word for bad hunter.

Offline Hood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2007, 12:38:00 PM »
No shots for me, close, but not quite.

I would hold off and hope to get a perfect shot on one of them.

Robert
All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players.
Performers and portrayers, each another's audience.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »
Well I tell ya perfect shots don't happen very often and if you know elk anatomy, the cow is as close as you dare ask for.  Shoot right where the guys above show the spot and it's dead in seconds.

The bedded bull is tempting but I would wait for him to stand first.

I've played this game so many times at the same display you can't imagine.  Spent a lot of time eyeing the moose around the corner too.

LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2007, 03:35:00 PM »
"I dunno John, pretty substantial brush in front of the bedded bulls vitals "

Micky, nobody said you couldn't kneel or lean. I believe we'd be eatin' Elk.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »
I'd shoot the cow. The bull needs to grow another year or two.  ;)
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Old Ways

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2007, 12:12:00 PM »
You guys are making too big a deal out of it. Just kick the cow out of the way, take a couple steps forward and pin the bedded bull to the ground. Then nock another arrow a say, "Who's next?"    :p  

This all coming from a guy that got chased across a meadow by a 6x6 bull on a rant.    :rolleyes:

Actually I would probably hope the cow walked away then draw on the bedded bull and step towards him.   I'd keep my eyes on the vitals and as he came to his feet I'd launch the arrow(I once took a 6pt WT @ 10' this same way). All the while praying they don't decide to stomp me flat. Of course I might just drop dead of stress too. Horses with horns make me nervous.
"You dishonor an animal if you take it's spirit without knowing  and respecting the way it lived."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©