Author Topic: Shop Lighting ?  (Read 335 times)

Offline Big-un08

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Shop Lighting ?
« on: August 22, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
I am near the finishing stages of my 20'x24' shop, and would like to install the best lighting possible. The problem is I don't know where to begin. I was hoping that you guys might be able to get me started in the right direction. Any info you could provide would be much appreciated.

Chris
Experience is something that you do not get until right after you need it!!!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shop Lighting ?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
Fluorescent lighting in my opinion. I put up 4 lights, 8 foot long with 2 bulbs on each light. They are 140 watt high output. You never have enough light. And paint the walls and ceiling bright white. My shop is 13 X 27 and it's like day light in it.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »
Florescent lighting is probably the worst light for building wood bows. I have it to light my shop overall but use incandescent lights for my close up lighting with projects. Natural lighting is actually the best IMO but most of us don't have an outside shop or even want to be outside to work on our bows because of variable weather conditions.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Chad Orde

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
I use Lithonia "high bay" lights 4ft fluorescents they hold six bulbs per fixture and home depot has them. They use a mirror finish on the reflector and light the shop very nicely. Natural light is the best but you can get close by using the right bulbs Kelvin rating 3500 to 4500 is best for a wood shop. It’s tricky....
-------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/@Island_Drifter

https://www.instagram.com/island__drifter/

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor. Truman Capote

Offline Chad Orde

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
4ft bulbs are easy to put in the car and get the new T8 bulbs they are more energy efficent. Also get the electronic ballests they dont flicker and work in the cold better.
-------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/@Island_Drifter

https://www.instagram.com/island__drifter/

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor. Truman Capote

Offline Dublin Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
I have the basic fluorescents for general lighting and a few fluorescents hanging over specific work areas and a couple of incandescent lamps I move around for raking and spot light.

Try some full spectrum bulbs and see if they agree with you better; I like that they don't cast a particular hue.

The flicker of the fluorescents is annoying to me but not to most.  If I could I'd get replace them.

One thing to consider is the shadows cast by lights placed in the middle of the ceiling.  They always seem to cover what I'm working on at the moment unless I assume a yoga position instead.  You want to be able to direct your light to avoid working in the shadows.

Joel
Everyone's better off when everyone's better off.

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
I use halogen shop lights above for their light output, color, and dispersion, but they get hot.  They resemble the florescent fixtures but have halogen bulbs.  

I think the most critical thing is to have light come from both the top and the side(s).  You can't see the details of a particular piece properly unless it's lit from two or more directions, which more closely resembles natural daylight.  Incandescent goose-neck lamps placed here and there will really help out.
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Big-un08

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies. For those of you that use the 48" lights, what would ideal spacing be ?
Experience is something that you do not get until right after you need it!!!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline machomanandysavage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
I have a 30x40 workshop, and used 12 of the 4' fluorescent shop lights (24 bulbs total). I just spaced them evenly on the ceiling, and have plenty of light. I ran 3 banks of 4 lights across the 30' way.

The biggest help was I installed a white steel ceiling on the bottom of the trusses and have used the silver foil faced insulation on the walls, which both really reflect the light.

Gotta have it nice and bright for workin'!
"Aim small, miss small"

Offline Dublin Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
More is better.  You want light getting to those spots you're crouching over.  I'd put a few circuits in with a pleasant generally lit environment as well as a brighter array, all on one switch panel.  Our electrician did what he thought we needed and it's lame.  You'll be better off not using something that's there than wishing you had more available.

Joel
Everyone's better off when everyone's better off.

Offline mater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
Like dublin joe says, full spectrum is like daylight.

Mark

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©