3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thinking about a short longbow  (Read 1101 times)

Offline jcp161

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thinking about a short longbow
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 05:07:00 PM »
Great Northern Critter Gitter Special at 56". Mine's a jackknife. Shoots well and folds up nice for travel or carrying out.
"In bow hunting, the goal is not marksmanship but shooting well. And shooting well, after all, is merely a matter of only taking shots you can make."-Hunting from Home-Christopher Camuto

Offline toyrecurves

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »
Is it bad to have a bowyer send you a bow with the purpose of just trying different styles? and not buying
"Sometimes I like to kick me a pig" -Augustus McCrae

Offline KELLEY40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 05:27:00 PM »
GRIFFIN

Offline baretraks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008, 05:33:00 PM »
Going from a longer bow or a recurve to a short bow is a little bit of a process. It took me a while to be able to shoot one when I converted, but now I wouldn't have anything else. I have a 58 inch thunderstick that shoots excellent and Treadways are also top notch. I'm gonna have to shoot one of the Shrews, as much as I've heard about em.
" Life is hard. It's even harder if your stupid."
-John Wayne

Offline toyrecurves

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 05:42:00 PM »
I think i just need to get my hands on some to try but as i asked before- Is it bad to have a bowyer ship you one just to try with little intent on buying that particular one?

Offline Ol Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 05:46:00 PM »
Check out Dan Toelke's bows.  I just got one and MAN - great delivery of an unbeatable product.  Check out my post....

Toelke Whip...My New Baby arrived early
for pics.  Bow was in my hands in 4 weeks...

Doug
Getting older I tend to talk to myself but, at least I know that I am as smart as the one I am talking to.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008, 05:47:00 PM »
It depends on how much you want to spend and how long you want to wait. The Three I would recommend A Shrew[one year wait]great bow have a 58"er. A Treadway[also a one year wait]another great bow very resonable at 500.00 with all boo limbs. I had a 54"er and shot a 58"er both excellant at my 27" draw.   No he doesn't have a web site Mike told me he wouldn't even know how to start a computer  , and a Jim Reynolds Thunder Stick Mag.I own a 56"er smokes an arrow, smooth, quiet, no hand shock .For a 56"er it draws like a much longer bow. A bargin at 475.00 and I think Jim's up to a 6 month wait. This is coming from someone that has 62" and 64" longbows. My 2 cents.

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
Horne Brushbow and Treadway. I own one of each and love them both.  :goldtooth:  

Bill

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2008, 07:17:00 PM »
hey check out the Dryad bushwacker as well.  I have one and it's now the only bow I shoot.  58" of hunting death.  Beautiful lines, beautiful woods, fantastic bowyers.  Mike and Jason are great to work with.  Most amazing thing is their bows are made with all natural materials.  I can't recomend them or their bows enough.  
Derek

Here's a shot of me and the bow in action!

got arrows?

Offline Boneyard Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2008, 07:20:00 PM »
I was impressed with the looks and performance reports of Kanati owners. The price of $450 is also a head turner. For the price of a Shrew I can buy a bow, bow quiver and a bunch of arrows. I'm not putting down the Shrew in fact I have never heard anything bad about it. I just think the Kanati is a better buy.
The size of the horns don,t matter
as long as it has a good tale.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
Toyrecurves, I don't think it's bad to try a bow to see if you like it or not. There are enough people buying bows anyway, if you don't buy it someone will.

Besides it's good advertiseing when someone asks to try their bows, they know the word is getting out there.  Good luck and have fun.

Alan

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »
Shrew!

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
I'm another Kanati owner and I think dollar for dollar, Jason Kendall has built the most phenomenal bow around.
Otto

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2008, 08:52:00 AM »
Plus there are a few bowyers out there that will send you a demo bow as close to what you're looking for as they happen to have already available to see if it suits you or not........then you can decide to have one made to your exact specs.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline Jim Boettcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »
I have a 56" Kanati and absolutely love it. It is very similar in design to the Shrew. Turn around time is extremely fast, especially considering that Jason Kendall is a part time bowyer. Price is also fantastic, with standard limbs of action boo, and muliple grip and tip overlays. These would be considered optional upgrades on most other customs, and would result in increased price. Kanati's got to be one of the best buys on a custom out there. Jim

Offline toyrecurves

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »
I like more of a recurve grip but not a huge one. I have shot one other longbow with a skinny grip and did not like it that much

Offline Jim Boettcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
If you want a short longbow with a recurve grip, then Fedora bows is worth looking at. Jim

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »
toyrecurves

Here's a pic of the Kanati grip.

Otto

Offline JOKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2008, 02:16:00 PM »
Centaur!  :thumbsup:

Offline Brian Gillispie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2008, 05:21:00 PM »
So,

Which sponser sells shrews?

Brian Gillispie
Spinning faster round the pole. Soon to old from chasing gold. Young hands wrinkle, hearts to stone. Dust to dust and ashes cold

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©