Author Topic: a crack.... i think  (Read 627 times)

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: a crack.... i think
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2010, 08:41:00 AM »
How thick is that boo?
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2010, 09:58:00 AM »
The ipe would be better!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline n8-mac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2010, 12:51:00 PM »
width of bow at fret.  

thickness of laminations at fret    

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 08:49:00 AM »
Your bamboo is way too thick.

When I make a bamboo backed bow I make every edge 1/16" thick. That is, if you look at the backing from the side you will see only a 1/16" tall edge. It will be the same edge thickness from the handle to the tip.

By keeping this thin edge you will naturally taper the bamboo thickness from where you start the taper to the tip and won't overpower your core wood.

What you have is what I call a "hickory bellied bamboo bow" instead of a "bamboo backed hickory bow". Made a few of these myself when I was trying to get the poundage down and ran out of belly wood because I left the bamboo to thick.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
Here is how thick your bamboo should be for a backing. The osage core to the pencil line is 7/16" thick, the bamboo is 1/16" thick on the edge.

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »
Eric.  Is that bamboo backing, facing me in the picture ground flat?  No nodes?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline n8-mac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
Is that a laminated boo?  I am using a "full" piece of bamboo.  is there a difference in its strength?  i have not sanded off the nodes either. It seems if anything it would be stronger as a laminate..?

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2010, 11:36:00 PM »
Nope, just plain old bamboo, nodes and all and rind intact. The bamboo in picture is the thin strip below the osage. The bow is 1 1/4" wide

Here is the where this bamboo came from, the corner of my shop, little green in this picture.

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2010, 06:14:00 AM »
Man I need to have my eyes checks.  All I see is a piece of osage with a pencil line on the top of the picture, and what looks to be a piece of hickory grained wood on the bottom.  I know I am loosing it, but I sure don't see any rind or bamboo there.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline horseapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2010, 08:56:00 AM »
Its bamboo, you can see the power fibers on the edge, just left of the pencil mark about a half inch.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
Backed off a little for this shot of my glue-up to prove it is indeed bamboo, just properly thinned bamboo. This type of bamboo keeps a green hue on the rind but had a beautiful caramel color after the rind is scraped off.

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
Now I see it.  I apologize if I offended you Eric, never doubted it was not bamboo.  I just saw it as wood grain.  Thanks for the picture and as always, great work.

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
No offense taken in the least, I just like to show off my stuff.

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
And I am so glad that you do.  Anyone would/should be honored to have one of your bows.  When does mine go out????  :bigsmyl:    :pray:    :pray:    :pray:

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2010, 04:01:00 AM »
Boy that put a halt to this thread real quick.  I was only saying, not asking, that your equipment is top notch Eric.  I learn from you on every post you participate in.

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline n8-mac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
Eric,
could you post a pic of your bows profile up close at the node. I am amazed that your boo is so thin.. i dont beleave that i have the skill or the tools to make such a thin lamination. other than the lamination thicknes your boo looks the same as mine..    is there a reference table that has some general wood characteristics such as compresion and shear or reflex strength?

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
I have a 6X48 belt sander and use 36 grit sandpaper to do my final thinning on a bamboo slat.

Before I had the 6X48 I used a elcheapo delta 4X36 to do the same thinning.

Don't understand your picture request. I space the nodes as evenly as I can on the top and bottom limb. I don't make allowances for nodes as far as limb profile goes.

My profile is about the same bow to bow. 1 1/4" wide to just past mid limb and then tapered to slightly narrower than 1/2" nocks.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©