Author Topic: Repair job Help.  (Read 226 times)

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Repair job Help.
« on: August 24, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
Some of you may have seen my other post "Disappointments....Life is full of them" where I was showing pics of my limb failure around a knot on my upper limb.
Repair options were discussed and here's what I got. A friend of mine Lane is going to send me some combed Flax (what a great guy!) and I consulted the Bowyer's Bible about it, it said some really encouraging things about Flax, but only mentioned using hide glue which I don't have.

What other types of glue would work well for applying the flax to the bow limb for repairs? I guess it would have to be something that doesn't bond immediately so I could move the flax around into position....is this right?
I'm also assuming that I would need to remove the finish from around the area to be repaired to get better adhesion or is that even necessary?

Here's a pic of the area in question if that helps any.
  http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww146/mohunter68/Bow%20Fail/BowFail005.jpg  
  http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww146/mohunter68/Bow%20Fail/BowFail009.jpg  

Thanks for any help.
SEMO
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Bob Tebeau

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Repair job Help.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »
Man SEMO thats in the worst spot. I would try a hemp wrap with super glue, you can add acouple of different color bands in it,do it on both limbs and it will look like decoration. If it dosnt hold it will look good on the wall.

good luck

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
A lot of the guys are using Titebond 3 in place of hide glue especially with sinew. I've used tb3 with flax as a backing on a kids board bow and it held .
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bob Tebeau:
Man SEMO thats in the worst spot. I would try a hemp wrap with super glue, you can add acouple of different color bands in it,do it on both limbs and it will look like decoration. If it dosnt hold it will look good on the wall.

good luck
Yes I know, luckily it's not cracked too far in and I think/hope I can stop it. There is actually a knot that is spaced almost the same distance away from the handle as the knot that needs attention, so I was planning on doing them both even though the other one isn't causing a problem a little preventive maintenance wouldn't hurt anything and it will look like I did it on purpose.   :thumbsup:  

Mac-  I see you are from down around Truman Lake?
My buddy is going to send me some flax tomorrow and I should ask his opinion also, but just forgot to. Since he's worked with it before I'm sure he would know, but the titebond3 glue should work fine thanks for the tip. I haven't used that stuff since back in the 80's when that's all we had, since they came out with the faster setting glues I switched to Goat Tuff. I would use that but it dries with a white chalky look to it and I don't want that. I need something that dries clear, so titebond just may be the ticket.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©