Author Topic: Help out a new bowyer -- red oak board bow  (Read 358 times)

Offline John Lipinski

• Trad Bowhunter
Help out a new bowyer -- red oak board bow
« on: September 01, 2010, 06:06:00 PM »
Hi everyone! I've recently got the urge to make myself a bow as a project for my woodshop class. I stumbled across this how-to:  http://www.instructables.com/id/Red-Oak-Pyramid-Bow/

But there are several things left to be desired. Bear in mind that I know little to nothing about bowyering, but I would like to learn. I've been reading, searching, and reading some more on this site, but there isn't a complete how-to for a beginner that I could find.

Would the how-to link I have above be a good starting project for me?

How does one back a bow?

Are there good instructionals on tillering out there that anyone thinks would help me?

Tip overlays: what can I make them out of? What glue would I use for them?

Any info/suggestions/links that you can provide for the novice would be great. I don't just want to rush into this, but I don't want to make this too complicated.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help out a new bowyer -- red oak board bow
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
Ferret\\'s Board Bow Instructions  

Tiller 101  

Read through this site.  There is a ton of info.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
Here's a thread I did for guys just like you:

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=002064#000000

Whatever direction you go, have fun, post pictures, and best of luck!     :thumbsup:
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
4est's tutorial will get you started in the best direction (imo). Just be aware you are going to get HOOKED!

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
I did trekker's and it was extremely straight forward.  For me to be able to follow a build-a-long and actually end up with the final product is something to be said!
He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow, and concealed me in his quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline Dublin Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
Generally speaking, you back a bow by gluing a layer of something onto the back.  Getting a good glue joint requires even pressure if using another wood (sinew is a different matter.)  The thickness of the backing and the clamping technique you use are variables.

Also generally speaking, tip overlays are made of something harder than the bow wood itself so the repeated action of the string doesn't harm the bow.  Sometimes they're necessary (if you use the Fast Flight strings, or so I've read) but they are often added to embellish the bow and even to add a slight recurve.  What they're held on with depends on what they're made of.  If you join wood to wood, wood glue is fine but if you join horn to wood (two different materials) you'll want something more like epoxy.

As for making this complicated, there are about twenty variable all working with/against each other all the time so each bow has to find its own balance.  The shooters found their balance of shape, materials, forces, etc. whereas the more numerous pieces didn't.  It is what it is so my advice is to start making shavings and start developing your experience; you ain't makin' if you ain't breakin'.

Good luck and post pics as you go; these guys are great at helping you progress.

Joel
Everyone's better off when everyone's better off.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 07:07:00 PM »
John, I followed Sam Harper's build-along on  www.poorfolkbows.com  for my first board bow. Sam does a good job of getting a newbie started. Next I followed 4est trekker's build-along and made several nice pyramid bows. Both sites have excellent instruction and illustration, not to mention tips.  
There are some very good bowyers who happen to be great teachers right here on TG.
I started this last December and have managed 11 bows. Can't make enough fast enough.
Good luck,
Stan

Offline John Lipinski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 11:56:00 PM »
Thanks for all the support, everyone! I'm going to be taking a little bit of advice from everyone on this one by reading everything thoroughly. I picked up a 1x3 red oak board today that looks pretty solid for making a bow. Expect a full build-along once I start making it (start time: within next two weeks).

This is a great community, thank you everyone for the support, and if you have any more information, please post, I'd love to hear it!

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »
Better make yourself a tillering gizmo.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©