Author Topic: Sanding black glass and finish  (Read 336 times)

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
Sanding black glass and finish
« on: September 05, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
I am working a a bow with black glass and having trouble getting the glass perfect. I am using 320 and I can not get the finish real even, I just put on coat of Krystal on to see what would happen and I am still not happy with it. Any suggestions?
Terry
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sanding black glass and finish
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
How did you apply the finish?
I didnt miss, thats right where I was aiming

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
I am using ML Campbel Krystal, using a air assisted gun but I am talking about prior to finish being applied. I used 320 grit but I am not getting the glass consistant before the finish is even put on.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 12:06:00 AM »
Without seeing the bow, it's hard to picture what's going on. I use a palm sander with 220 grit to sand limbs then spray epoxy. I don't get any color variation under the finish. Are you sanding through the outer protective layer? With 320 grit it would take quite awhile to sand through it.
I didnt miss, thats right where I was aiming

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »
ttt
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline lovethehunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
I have only built one bow with black glass. I used a finish called Graham Aqua Borne Ceramithane. It held up good until I hunted in the rain for 5 straight days, then it got spoty. I just put a spar type finish on it. Worked good on all the other bows I have made--smells though.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
You need to use a dual action type sander. Straight sanding will never get it looking good until the finish is applied. I use a Porter Cable with the loop disks. Take it down to 220 and start finishing. When I hand sanded everything I wasn't even happy with 400. Now I only hand sand after I coat the bow. You can still spend pleanty of time sanding because you start with 890 and go through all the grits.god bless you, Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©