Author Topic: why is my selfbow so LOUD?  (Read 381 times)

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
why is my selfbow so LOUD?
« on: September 05, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
Just finished a selfbow. 64" 75@27.  Shoots really well.  Put a floppy arrow rest on it.  Shoots target points accurately as any laminated bow I ever owned.  When I put Zwickey Deltas on I cannot control where that arrow goes.  The bow is loud too!  Any suggestions?

I  have tried several spine classes of arrows.  90/95 are the most quiet.  70/75 would really spook a deer from any distance.  Thanks.

justin
Hill

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: why is my selfbow so LOUD?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
How long are your finished arrows Justin? How much handle are your shooting around? What type of string material are you using?

For myself, I wood start with arrow spine weight equaled to bow weight (at your draw length) and start adjusting the arrow length at 30" long and then down in length (if needed) from there using a 125gr point. ART

Offline primitivealltheway

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
my self bow was loud ,and then i found out that my string was hitting the edge of my arm guard and makeing the noise ,had to move my hand just a bit for the string to clear the back of the gaurd.
"nothing like being in the woods with a stick and string"

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
maybe not coming to full draw each time affected arrow performance.  I stepped back about another 10 yards from target and really focused on getting to 27" anchor and released.  Arrow performance seemed to improve and noise was decreased.  We'll see how it goes.  Thanks for the input.

justin
Hill

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »
Justin, that is a lot of weight. If your used to that weight and then have a good clean release no reason not to get the deltas to fly. Buttt if your struggling at all it's hard to get the clean release and the deltas will amplify the problem. Some of the noise and arrow flight might come to getting the tuning on the arrows/bow just right.

Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©