Author Topic: fret  (Read 380 times)

Offline Schmidtster

• Trad Bowhunter
fret
« on: September 06, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
just finished my first red oak board bow 68". tillering went great but while shooting it in noticed some lines across the belly shoots great but is it going to blow up on me?
Nathan

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: fret
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
Eventually the frets will threaten your bow. If you check the bend from both sides you will probably the bow is bending too much in that spot or the wood it thicker on either side of the frets.  Time to start the next one! d;^)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
Paul Comstock wrote in his book "The Bent Stick" that you could stop a fret in it's tracks. Scrape a few swipes behind the fret on the tip end of the fret the length of the fret.

Does that make sense. If your fret goes all the way across the limb (say your limb is 1.5" at the spot were it fretted, for example) you want scrape a few swipes 1.5" to 2" from where the fret starts or fairly close. This weaken the stiff spot and take some strain off the fret. It may need scraped on both side of the fret but DO NOT scrape the fret.

Might be worth a shot. I had a few small fret's on a character bow I finished and been shooting on both sides of a knot. The fret's where just on edge of the limb and only about 1/8" or so. I got to looking at the area real close and noticed the limb was just a tad thicker in that spot on the side it fretted than the opposite side of the limb and I thined her down a little and it stopped it in it's tracks.

Good luck and like Pat said, Time to start on another.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline tawmio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
Nathan good to see you on here, i dont know anything about oak bows just thought id say Hi
Tommy
-just add effort.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©