Author Topic: kids bow turned out well  (Read 316 times)

Offline Loren Holland

• Trad Bowhunter
kids bow turned out well
« on: September 13, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »
In some previous posts I had mentioned a kids bow for a friend of mine's little boy that I had backed with brown paper.  Unforturnately, an adult who should have known better, overdrew the young lads bow (I now totally believe in the strength of a paper backing. It didn't save the bow, but it did save his face.)  Well long story short, I made one to replace the broken bow because the look on the kids face as he was shooting was priceless.  I couldn't stand for the kid not to have a bow, because someone else had been a dumba--.
This bow started out to be a 48" hickory selfbow, with a glued on 8" cedar riser.  The bow seemed to grow in scale of effort though. Soon, it had alternating paduak and maple accent stripes. Then as I tillered there was a spot in the bottom limb where a run off was starting to hinge, and even though I removed wood everywhere but there, it just wouldn't even out.  So I spliced two pieces of boo and backed it (yes, I know hickory isn't compression strong, but it was a kids bow, and i thinned the boo down to almost nothing).  Next, I figured I had gone through all that trouble, I might as well add black horn tip overlays, and a zebra handle overly to hide the splice...I am sure none of ya'll have ever had a bow that just kept growing like that right?!

below is the unstrung reflex/deflex profile  

strung profile, it draws 15 lbs at 17"

the cedar riser with red/white/red accent on one side and white/red/white accent on the other side

zebra handle overlay

Black horn tip overlay

another view of riser, with buckskin stikeplate and shelf cover, and artificial sinew grip wrap

Well not the best tillering, and horrible glue lines, but I am learning. I think there is a happy 5 yr old out there though.

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: kids bow turned out well
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
I think that bow looks awesome! And as long as the kid is happy, what does it matter what anyone, including yourself, thinks? Be glad you're finding sweet ways to push the envelope, both for yourself and bowery. Any chance we can get a draw pic with the kid? That would be sweet.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »
Wow, so far my kid bow successes were because of adult bow failures.  I can't wait to try one on purpose!

That one will make for a happy kid.  Nicely done.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
Great! Nothing like the smile of a child when they get their first bow. It is extra special that dad made it for them.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©