Author Topic: first post , first bow. advice request...  (Read 794 times)

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
first post , first bow. advice request...
« on: September 16, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »
hello all , new member. been lurking a few weeks reading everything that looks simple. i was finally able to convince the wife to let me spend a few bucks on wood. i somehow managed to tell her i could build her a bow for less than 20$ including a string...soooo....

my dilemma is that i first read the oak bow build along (yes the great one) , and i figured i could try that. while at the lumber depot , the 1x4's were all very porous , or they were all outer cuts with shallow grain.

the 1x2's however looked decently grained and not too warped at all. i saw there were some people who had some luck with 1x2 bows , but i havent seen a whole lot on here as for builds. i know its kind of a newbie thing to do , but it looks like the simplest to whittle out with the minimal tools i can make or modify. i do have some woodworking stuff , but its all mostly just handmade blades from fire extinguisher breakers.

i could probably pick up a small pocket plane , and some sandpaper obviously would be needed , but im trying to make a bow minimal outset cost. im even going to hold off to make a tillering tree .

forgot to mention some things are out of the question as im on crutches for a little while still...

any tips or builds to look at , let me know. im going to go do some searching...

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: first post , first bow. advice request...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 05:36:00 AM »
I find a rasp a very helpful.

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 07:24:00 AM »
A 1x2 will built a very serviceable bow.  Visit George's site here:

http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/archer.html  

I built some of my first board bows using his instructions.  Also, Sam Harper's site has some good buildalongs using 1x2 stock.  You can visit it by click here:

http://www.oocities.com/salampsio/  

Finally, here's a third online tutorial worth checking out:

http://sticknstring.webs.com/ferretsboardbow.htm

Best of luck, and post lots of pictures.
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »
thanks guys for the replies. i am surprised too see you posting on my lowly newb thread , 4est. your oak bow was the longest and most educational thread ive read in a long time. it actually is what inspired me.

so i was doing a little google windowshopping last night and found the sur-form and a small pocket  plane that arent too expensive. i may even have a rasp somewhere in all my tools.

ive decided im going to go and pick up a couple 1x2's , and get my hatchet , and a few blades out of storage , and im going to get to work on em.

im currently living with my in laws , due to the lovely car accident i was in , that broke my femur in 2 places. so i have to keep everything to a minimum.

i have seen george and sam's builds , and learned a lot. the only thing im still not clear on , is the whole grain situation. im sure a couple sticks and ill figure it out...

thanks guys
-hov

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »
Here's another board bow instruction   Ferret\\'s Board Bow Instructions  Just make sure the grain lines runs straight from one end to the other of your board.  No runups allowed.

I went through my tools a couple weeks ago and found some extras.  Get me your address and I'll send you something.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline walkabout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 04:10:00 PM »
i build most of my bows out of 1x2'sand have had good success. my first one followed sam harpers on his site. get the best straight grain you can find, back it with some brown paper or whatever you have handy that will work. if you have questions about backings post a question and we'll try to answer them. by the way my first few were made with only a surform, theyre a good investment on a budget. fine scraping can be done with one half of a pair of scissors.
Richard

Offline JDL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
I like most of the builds by dutchwarbow on this sight but I haven't seen any recently!

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
wow lots of support here. very glad i registered.

went today to lowes , and looked at their red oak and my jaw dropped. at homey depot , the 1x2's were a little off , but they were only 1.05 ... at lowes they were 6' , and almost 6$ , but a lot of them looked lots nicer than the ones at home depot. so i picked the nicest straightest one ,over the one with a little thicker latewood , but it had a little wavey-er grain , but it was a little heavier , so i probably should have gotten that one. the one i have is very even in ring size , with probably 2/3 latewood , and 1/3 earlywood.

needless to say , the denser piece was a little darker , but had a bit of bend in the board. there also seemed to be a bit of a split in it , and i just wasnt that happy with it...

this piece is almost perfectly flat back to belly , but side to side there is an almost perfect bend that is about a half inch in from the middle to the tips. when held in the hand as it would be , once done , i like the tips arching away from me , so as a left handed shooter , if palm=$ , then $( is how it feels good. when turned the other way , even though it seems to make a little more sense , it feels awkward to me.

so im going to work out some measuremenwts with my honey bunny , draw length mostly , and im going to have her give the ol fred bear whitetail hunter compound , to see what kind of weight she can get back , and what she would like to try. im thinking aim for 40# , and probably end up around 30# if my tillering sucks. she could do 30 im sure.

let me know what you all think , ill try to get some pics up tomorrow. probably going off your build 4est...

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
well that would make a little more sense. they looked a little chincy , so i held off. if this goes even remotely well , ill probably just call around and see if someone can match me up somethaing a little better. im sure the pictures will help anyone give me some advice.

meh, for all i know , i bought the exact opposite...

checking out ferrets build now , looks like some good info...

-hov

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
just rough measured the wife , and she is 2 and a third hands . roughly 21-22 inches draw length. so im thinking for a first timer bow , made from a red oak 1x2 , im thinking no less than 60" , about 25-30# @ 22". im wondering if a bendy in the handle is simpler to tiller. i definitely want it to last. if i make her a bow and it hits her in the face , i most likely wont be heard from again...

a side note , i was looking at flemish strings , and  it looks very similar to what i used to use in fly fishing , called a furled leader. i am going to have to wait a week or two to get some dacron from a short string , but i should have some para laying around i can use to long string it up.

another question i have been having , even though it says not to break the back of the bow surface , i see a lot of nocks are through the backing. is this just because these bows dont bend at the nocks , or is it something specific to each bow.

thanks guys , pictures to come tomorrow.

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
just did a little on it , with my tiny swiss army knife. was going to do 65" tip to tip , but with no saw handy here at the in laws (go figure) , i figured id just start on it at 72" and see what i end up with. im pretty sure theres too much earlywood , but i guess ill figure that out soon enough.

i did get some pics but left the camera upstairs , and as i thought , maybe the arc side to side will mess me up.

as of now im working it rough to:

handle : 5" x 1"
tips 1/2" x 1/2"

with the arc in it , its kind of iffy on how much runout im going to have to deal with , but i think this is just going to be some testing and a proof of concept to the wife. if it even comes close to flinging an arrow , im sure that will help the coffers a little.

and im going to try to get back to the hardware store tonight pick up a rasp. this knife work is going to take forever. not that i dont have patience , i just believe there is a point where things stop being interesting , usually when they become tedious , like removing 1/2" of wood with a 3" pocket knife ...

anyways , ill get some pics up later and see how much you guys laugh.

john : i really appreciate the offer. im not sure if i can pm yet or not , but ill give it a shot later. you made me feel all tingly , i bet those tools have a lot of good mojo left in them...id be honored.

-hov

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 09:55:00 PM »
so heres some pics...

ok so how about some criticism on my wood...lol..

but seriously , did i buy the exact wrong piece?

ill get some more pics tomorrow of what i have gotten accomplished. this stuff sure is hardwood...

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »
I've certainly made some good things happen with stock crappier than that, so remember, have fun, see the bow for what it wants to be, and go at it. When it comes time to clean your bow up from scrapes, rasps, and cuts, try a belt sander clamped on it's side. Helps me clean things up right away, and to tiller. It was easier for me than scraping...

Good luck!

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
yeah ive done some woodcarving , so other than some basic widths , im going to sort of experiment.

old indian bowyers guide:

1.get stick
2.remove wood that is not part of the bow

-hov

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
I think I'd get a different piece. Lot's of runups and steep ones at that.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
Hova PM sent.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
ok so after four hours today ,i got a good bit more done. wore out the victorinox though.

going to pick up a rasp i have at my moms house today , if its still there...

needless to say i respect anyone doing this , especially the old timers using stones...that had to suck..

pics later tonight
-hov

edit : saw your post just now after posting john. while i know theres a good few runups , and the probability of breaking it is around 96.2% ...

so far using the pen knife , ive got most of it roughed out to shape , or pretty close , but i need something with a little backbone to it that doesnt make my hand feel like a claw..

im not really expecting a family heirloom , long as i learn something from it.

-hov

Offline John Cooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
I would get a roll of that paper that looks like grocery sack material and glue it on the back with some wood glue.  That'll decrease your probability of having it break.  However, that will increase your final cost to $22.  ;-)

~John

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 06:17:00 PM »
so far my cost is about 7$ ... i think i have some linen around , but im waiting to see what it does when i start tillering...

still gotta square up the sides of it before i mess with till...

pics shortly...
-hov

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©