Author Topic: Bow speed vs lams???  (Read 379 times)

Offline Joey V.

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow speed vs lams???
« on: September 17, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
Hey all haaaaaapppppy Friday!,

I am on a quest to build the fastest limbs I can make and I am considering using all “engineered” laminations such as Carbon fiber and “Action Boo” or something of that nature.  Is this stuff all gimmick or will it actually add substantial speed to my arrow?  These lams are a lil more expensive as you all know and I don’t want to just waist money for gimmick.  So far I always build every limb with one lam of thin carbon fiber and a .024 fancy wood veneer over it to hide the black and then clear glass.  This is not so much to add speed but to add long term strength to my limbs.  So far so good but will my limb be faster if I use lams of bamboo or “Action woods” instead of just say a maple lam?  By the way I am looking for a 10FPS increase in the norm for what my limbs do.  Currently my Reflex longbow limbs chrono right about 180FPS on avg...
THX
JV

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow speed vs lams???
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
Without any change to the limb, other than the different materials, I would think a 10fps gain is rather optimistic.  When you say they chrono about 180 is that with fingers and how many grains per pound and at what draw length?  If 28" fingers and 9-10 grains per pound that is pretty dang good speed. IMHO.

Offline Joey V.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
Good question!  I use a 500 grain 5575 carbon arrow @ 31” from Traditions all in including 100g tip.  I also use a trigger release because I had a spinal cord injury that left my right hand to weak to hold the string.  My draw is 28 1/2 bow is 57"lbs.  I don’t want to change my limb design it works perfect and proved indestructible now for 3 yrs and lots of shots....  I just wanted to push the limit on speed for no other reason than maybe it can be done????  :)

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »
The release should be adding a few fps to your speed.  You like me unfortunately do not have a real long draw, which adds speed.  In my opinion the best way to increase speed is to reduce limb mass.  I don't think aboo is particularly light in weight.

Adding carbon will make for less limb mass as it is stiffer than glass.  The closer to the outside of the limb the better.  All of this carbon info is what I have read.  I personally have only tried it once shot, great but only survived about fifity shots.  My next build will use carbon on the back with a thin glass skin over it.  I am expecting a small gain in speed if  gain 5 fps I will be happy.   Keep us posted on how it turns out.

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
Do you have pictures and specs of the limbs ( stack, lenght, taper, width... ) ?

How wide are your tips ? Maybe you can do something by increasing the stack and then reduce the width until you get your draw weigth.

----------
Andy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©