Author Topic: Do you HAVE to fill the pores with clear?  (Read 381 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Do you HAVE to fill the pores with clear?
« on: September 19, 2010, 02:30:00 AM »
Howdy,

When you are spray finishing a bow do you HAVE to fill all the pores. I don't mind the looks of having the pores there. Actually I sorta like the "rough" look. I just want the bow waterproofed.
Problably going to use satin spray lacquer.

Thanks a lot!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you HAVE to fill the pores with clear?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
I don"t think you have to as long as the wood is sealed to keep moisture out. I recently had trouble with Wenge and it was a bear to fill. As a matter of fact I never did get it to fill completely. My brother in-law is using it for the season and I plan on finishing it this winter after our season.
What kind of wood are you working with?
Terry
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
Ash riser with wenge accents. I have 6 coats lacquer on it now.

My first time finishing. The wood is stained so I was afraid to use a sandable filler. I didn't want to sand too deep and remove the stain.

Thanks
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
Might try a little ca glue to fill the pores in the wenge. It will have to be sanded but not a whole lot unless you get messy with it. With the six coats on it already you probably won't get down to the wood if you take your time and use some 220 or finer to sand the ca and smooth everything out.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
Thank you all !!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©