Author Topic: 2 piece self bow ... first try. finished pics pg 11  (Read 4721 times)

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2 piece self bow ... first try. finished pics pg 11
« Reply #160 on: January 18, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
Real nice.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline kerryb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: January 18, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
Looks great Ruddy, nice work.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: January 18, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
:thumbsup:   Nice job!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Blue EagleBum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: January 18, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
Nice Bow!
I use leather boot laces for stitching on the knife sheaths I make. Get most of mine at WalMart.
Step lightly, and shoot a trad bow.

Offline formerbutcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: January 18, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
Very nice ruddy ! Can i ask where you got the take down sleeve from ?
It's a great day to be alive !!

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: January 19, 2011, 05:23:00 AM »
Where did you get your sleeve? I guess I missed that?

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: January 19, 2011, 05:56:00 AM »
i got the sleeve from 3 rivers archery about 8 yrs ago.may isuggest , if you do get a sleeve i would inquire if it comes with 2 brass inner sleeves. this way when you put the stave back together with the sleeve, as you tiller it gives you time to let the bow decide what limb will be the upper or lower limb. then you can take a brass pin and perminantly attach the upper limb to the sleeve. im in the process of getting another sleeve.when i do i will do a thread on the insallation of a sleeve. ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: January 19, 2011, 06:17:00 AM »
That makes perfect sense!

jeffB is looking to make his selfbow a two peice. I tink his handle is too small. What were the inside dimensions of the sleeve? Also, lenght?

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: January 19, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
Joe, there are two size sleeves. I think Ruddy used the larger one(oval shape) and the smaller one has a round cross section.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: January 19, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
actually mr pat mine is the small D shaped sleeve. the flat partof the sleeve is where the back of the bow is. look at the butt of the limb and you will see the d end profile. i think its the first few pics of the build. mike yancey of pine hollow longbows also offers these sleeves but he has an oval model too.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: January 19, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
Ruddy looks great. I hope mine turns out half as good.
Kelly

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: January 19, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
Today I was honored by the fact that Ruddy brought his newly finished 2 Piece Osage Selfbow down for me to see and for us to shoot a little. We had a ball, both shooting the bow, and shooting the bull about bows, arrows, etc. I tell you in all truth that I was really impressed with Ruddy's bow - and I have some very nice all wood Primitive and selfbows in my collection.

I found the bow to look great (as we've seen in the pictures) but also to draw smooth, shoot with little or no noticeable hand shock, and be very quiet (even with no silencers yet applied). The bow seems to require a pretty good cant - at least with either me or Ruddy shooting it (a little bit more so with me). It is a sweet and accurate shooter, as long as the archer does his part. I grabbed two each of some of my River cane arrows, Tonkin Cane arrows, Cedar Arrows by Bill Stroup, and some Ramin Dowel arrows That I made about 5 or 6 years back. The bow behaved very well with all of my arrows (mostly in the 40-45 spine range and weighing close to 500 gr each, w/ their 145 gr tips). The bow really liked (as did Ruddy) the two river cane arrows (by Art B), and the two Tonkin canes (by StringStretcher). We shot at targets from about 8yds out to 41 yds both from the ground and from my tower. I think it is safe to say we were both impressed and enjoyed the afternoon of shooting - his was the only bow we shot today.

We did take a few pictures and I posted some in his thread under Pow Wow but all of them will appear in Ruddy's thread here in the Bowyer's Bench Forum. Wish you could have been there to soot this fine bow with us - but for now, enjoy the pics - LOL. Oh, Ruddy draws about 28" I believe, and I draw about 25".

Our first round groups weren't as tight as we might have wanted but as we got our stuff together between the bow, the arrows, and the shooters, we both tightened up nicely and were more than pleased with our shooting and the results - LOL

Now for some looks at the bow in action:

And from the other side:

In this one, Rudy held the bow with a little less cant - just for viewing:

(more pics to come in next post)
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: January 19, 2011, 06:39:00 PM »
Some of my turns (and pleasure) - LOL:

AND a more or less head-on:

And one more of Ruddy up on the tower (I think he liked that - LOL) I very much liked the way the bow shot for me from up on the tower.

Thanks for the visit and the pleasure of shooting your fine piece of work, Ruddy. We made some good shots with her, didn't we, buddy?

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: January 19, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
bernie, i had a ball! i cant tell you enough of how impressed i was with the art b. rivercane arrows. the beauty of their flight from this bow was amazing. osage and rivercane is an icredible combination. after 1 or 2 shots i was dialed in and made some pretty respectable shots, at distances that i really dont care to take in a hunting situation. bernie took to this bow rather well. i looked at bernies selfbow colection rather closely. alot of bernies bows have a classic narrowed handle section, which in turn make them closer to center shot, if this makes sense. the bow that i made resembles shooting a cross between an american flatbow with a rounded english longbow handle section, with just a strike plate, arrow pass area. bernie it was truly a pleasur to shoot your range. im honored that you got to shoot a bow i made. im truly grateful to all the tg members here that helped make this build possible. ruddy

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #174 on: January 19, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »
My pleasure, Ruddy, and you really deserve how well that bow came out. I dare say it is one you will never forget.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: January 19, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
that looks real good Ruddy! like wow!!!!  :thumbsup:    :archer2:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Rich Evans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #176 on: January 19, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
all i can say is sssaaaawwwwweeeeetttttt!!!!!!!!
Rich

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #177 on: January 19, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
You guys are having way too much fun. She looks good Ruddy. I bet she shoots sweet also.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Axes bows n knives

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: January 20, 2011, 12:24:00 AM »
Great bow!

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: January 20, 2011, 07:32:00 AM »
That ain't right! No snow, out having fun this time of year, just ain't right I tell you  :readit:    :bigsmyl:  ! I'm eating my heart out guys!

You bow looks great Ruddy! Bet it performs just as well. Hey, you need to get Burnie to show you where he hides his cane patch. Lord, you guys are blessed with fine arrow material. Next challenge perhaps? Enjoyed the pics........Art

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©