Author Topic: 2 piece self bow ... first try. finished pics pg 11  (Read 4713 times)

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2 piece self bow ... first try. finished pics pg 11
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »
Sorry guys, maybe it's just me, but is there a hinge developing on the left limb, pretty much right at the riser? I would say between the second and 3rd verticals on your left limb. Or is that natural character? I like the 2 piece idea tho, very beautiful choice for a stave too. Keep the pics and results coming.

Jon

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
There is a little natural deflex right there near that fade. That's why I suggested he work out from that area for now.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
i did some more work on both limbs today i started on the left limb first. i did 20 scrapes at a time and checked it on the tree. between each session i exercised the limbs 100 pulls. i did a total of 4 sessions on the left limb alone. i worked on the right limb some, only 2 sessions so far 20 scrapes at a time. and exercised the limbs 100 reps between sessions . i worked the areas that pat had told me and im starting to see that the limbs are starting to work together just a bit. what do y'all think. ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »
Scrape some out beyond the 3rd vert line on the left limb and full length on the right.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
i hope i wasnt to early for this mr pat but i think i got bold and went to the short string. i think i need to file the temp nocks a little deeper though.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
Looking even better with each session, Rudy, to these ol' eyes - and our friend Pat has the good eye and advice on your efforts - can't beat that with a big (Osage) stick - LOL You're doing good work and nice, slow, and easy, buddy - the way I like to work a bow.

Next time I make a bow I plan to set up shop right on Pat's door steps, from start to finish     ;)
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »
From this angle the braced bend looks good, Ruddy. No sudden surprises! d;^)
  Trace where the string tracks now on the nock and follow that line to make your string fit the nock better. How does the string track from tip to tip?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
i traced the string where it contacted the belly and filed in better nocks and this is how the string tracks mr pat i dont think its too bad. right now its braced at 3"

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2010, 06:35:00 PM »
this is just another pic of the tracking sorry about the string silencers.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »
Looks right down the center to me. Now start reducing weight til you get what and where you want to be. Still work in incriments and exercise the bow after wood removal.  Once I get to low brace I like to "sweat" the bow by leaving it strung starting with about 15 minutes. As the draw gets longer and the weight reduced I leave it braces longer to at final full draw it sometimes stays braced for 4 hours or so. This replicates keeping your bow braced while hunting or at the 3D range.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2010, 04:56:00 AM »
That's some neat tracking going on there. Getting to the fine points now - that pretty Osage "stick" will become a bow before you know it, now, Rudy. Be careful - they can sneak up on ya over night -    :eek:    LOL

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2010, 06:05:00 AM »
i really appreciate alll the advice and support! this like heading into dark unknown territory with a weak flashlight  :scared:

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
Rudy, you have the difficult parts beat and heading towards a very cool bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
Rudy she is looking good, your flashlight is brighter than mine!

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
LOL - Yep, like Kelly, I think your flashlight is holding up pretty well, bud. Good job on the pics for us too.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
ive been out chasin critters the past few days so work on this has been slow. another factor that has slowed me a little is ive stopped using steel tools of any kind . ive noticeted a trend here as of late that  a lot of fellas have been using sandpaper to tiller.. im also see what mr eric krewson was talking about , natural deflex starting to take some set.i also see pat b's point of waiting to do final heat treatments to heat in reflex before final tiller. here is what i have so far the bow at rest im still using a long string on the tree, i have to admit im still nervous of the short string on the tree let me know what ya think. ruddy

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
well thats way cool ruddy much better than my 7 blowups so i stopped buying wood. might have another go some time. keep it comming its looking good.  :clapper:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2010, 05:05:00 AM »
Looks pretty even to me, Ruddy - so far, so good. Every time I got nervous I leaned more toward either scraping with a stout knife (Kbar, etc.) or back of a piece of industrial hacksaw blade (I think I have a couple extra of those pieces - I'll check), or sandpaper. Nothing wrong with that, IMO, to keep your nerves in check. However, don't let it bulldoze you. Though no one wants to lose one (stave/bow), especially at this stage (when things are looking so good), it is still just a piece of wood you are turning into a bow. It is not your boss - make it your partner if you can but stay in control. Just like you do on the cabinets you build. Keep on keepin' on, buddy!

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2010, 08:30:00 AM »
I do still have those (aprox. 12" long) pieces of Industrial Hacksaw (machine) blades. Actually, I knew I had them somewhere - it was just a case of could I remember where I put them and/or find them again -    :D  You are welcome to one (or two). They are a little over an inch from back to teeth. I cover the teeth with a couple or three wraps of good ol' duct tape (could be ground off), and they act just like a furniture/cabinet scrapper. (You also can use them to make a thin/fillet knife blade out of too.) BTW, I also received that Christmas present Osage Bow I told you about and, when you get to see it, there are a lot of good visual examples of how the bowyer ("Stiks-n-Strings") worked over, and around, knots and pin-knots - (it isn't named "One Eye" for no reason    ;) ). Might ease your mind some in that area too - just a thought. I'm not that far away.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
cool bernie, i cant wait to check it out.mabe we can get together soon. we'll have to work something out. ruddy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©