Author Topic: 2 piece self bow ... first try. finished pics pg 11  (Read 4715 times)

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2 piece self bow ... first try. finished pics pg 11
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2010, 09:34:00 AM »
Ruddy, I'd think that trying to complete tiller with sand paper will be more furstrating than with a scraper. If you take your time(I know you will do that) and think about each scrape you will get things working well. Take 10 scrapes from each limb, exercise and check tiller. Adjust your scrapes depending on how the last batch worked out and go again.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »
That is comming along nicely.   :clapper:
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
I'd have to agree with Pat about (the frustration part of) using sandpaper. Been there, done that - and usually wound up going back to scrapers of some kind. I like to go slow but I do get antsy when nuttin' seems to be happening/changing - and then that can get you in trouble at just the wrong time - Oooops LOL.

We can get together most anytime, Ruddy (as long as it isn't to freezzzzzz - LOL).
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
With a good scraper you can either go gingerly and remove a tissue thin piece of wood or hunker down and remove a stiff curl or somewhere in between. That has to be worked out by the bowyer for each situation.
  When I talked to Ruddy this morning I also told him about not only scraping with the blade perpendicular to the stave but also at a 45deg(mol)angle from the right and left to help prevent the washboard effect you will get from just using the scraper perpendicular to the stave.
  When building a bow I mostly use a scraper  from floor tiller to completion. By doing so it slowed me down enough so I had time to think what I was doing and where I was going. The closer you get to tiller the more thoughtful each wood removal has to be.
  Ruddy, you said on the phone anout it developing a bit of twist. Check limb thickness from side to side alone each limb. If one side is a little thicker than the other it will usually twist. By making the limb thickness even you can eliminate the twist. I use my thumb and fore finger as a thickness gauge by lightly pinching the wood between my fingers and sliding along and across the limbs. You will be amazed how much better you can feel a change as compared to trying to eyeball it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »
mr pat , i appreciate the conversation we had on the phone this a.m. it dispelled a few mysteries that i had of using steel tools through the tiller process. i am however exercising extreme caution at this point and trying not to excede the speed limit for lack of a better term. ive been exercising the bow inbetween scraping sessions. at this point im to 4 1/2" brace . ive had to make a modification to my treeclamp, to make it easier to place the bow in the tree during brace. this is the bow at 15" draw on the tree . i can see im starting to get more bend. at this point i have just exercised the limbs 100 reps to 15" draw. thanks for lookin
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
oh i forgot to mention i was advised to go back to the short string which i have done. the character limb is  to the right, as has been through the entire build. im also seeing that i need more bend at mid limb towards the tip in the character side i have to study it more myself but what do y'all see. ruddy

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
A little more off the right limb between vert line #3 through #8.  Looking good though.   What is the weight at 15"?
  You should stay with that string and brace height until colser to final tiller then go to full brace height. For me that is about 5 1/2", my fistmele.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
i have no idea  of the draw weight , mr pat. i still dont have a pulley and i dont have that kind of scale i guess i need to get up with batman so i can use his tree and scale for a few days. im realizing that im getting close. im thinking i need to start paying close attention to a target weight and draw length from here until its finished. am i right? ruddy

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
Come'n along nice......   :coffee: ... Take your time look at your progress and your gonna have a real nice hunting tool!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2010, 12:32:00 AM »
I have one here in my carport also, Rudy, with the scales, rope, & pully, if you need to use it, or even borrow it to use at your place with your tree awhile. I'm not using it right at this time. I'll show you how i use it with mine (I keep it in a Tupperware bread saver when not in use) and then you can hook it up with yours real easy I would think. It makes everything a lot easier, especially the exercising of the bow (and safer for the bow - and the bowyer perhaps - LOL).

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
i went to the hardware store this morning and bought a pulley that was rated to 100#. i attached it to the wall and rigged up some parachute cord woth a t-handle, and a latch so i could work the bow safely on the tree. i also made a short video of the limbs being worked to 15" draw. watch.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
Ruddy, the left limb is stiff from mid limb out. Be careful at midlimb as to not get a hinge there. The right limb looks pretty good but needs a little off at the fade.
  See how much better it works with the right set up! d;^)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2010, 03:19:00 PM »
as im doing some scraping of the limbs and working it on the tree ive noticed ive lost 1/8" in brace from the 4 1/2"  as im going through the tiller process do i need to check before going to the tree to make sure i stay at 4 1/2 by adjusting the string does the wood start to settle in or does this keep the wood from becoming too stressed before reaching final brace.  when am i supposed to start increasing the draw length on the tree in concert with checking for target draw weight.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
As the limbs begin to bend together the draw length can be increase. You really need to check your draw weight to see where you stand with it.  Don't worry about the loss of brace height. A few twists of the string will fix that but it isn't hurting anything for now.  Remember this aint a Swiss watch or brain surgery.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
The video makes a nice (and handy) "graphic tool", Rudy - good on ya! BUT why are ya pickin' on "Jack" the purpdog??? He probably just wanted to "hep ya" - LOL

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
hahaha lol i didnt realize there was sound to the vid. my dog jack was fixin to get his wiskers hung up in the pulley, he's too curious for his own safety sometimes. just too funny that you caught that bernie lol. ruddy

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2010, 06:24:00 AM »
You'll be so glad you took the time to rig the rope and pully (Jack, not so much, if he does get his whiskers caught - LOL). You can still borrow my Bow scale to use with it, you know. It just gives you that much more info on keeping track of your progress, and helps in the learning process - IMO. We're all pulling for you on this one, bud, and loving Pat's valuable input.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
i got the chance to work on this project some more. i see what you were talking about pat. i think the left limb ( the straight one) is showing signs of wanting to hinge. here are some pics. at rest . 15" draw . and the culpri pin knot i think is where the hinge is starting to form this pin knot goes from back to belly.  i also think i still need more work at the fade on the right limb.                                                                                                 bernie i think i'll take you up on your offer to use your bow scale for a little while.  it would definately be a help. ruddy

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »
Put a pencil mark across the left limb at the second vert line and another at the 4th line and lots of "X"s between the lines. This should keep you from taking any wood from that area.  d;^)
  A knot right in a hinge can result in frets so be careful with it until you have removed wood from both sides of where you mark to eliminate the hinge.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2010, 04:36:00 PM »
Good, your certainly welcome to, Rudy

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©