Author Topic: Rattan Bow Build help  (Read 244 times)

Offline Greg2201

• Trad Bowhunter
Rattan Bow Build help
« on: September 21, 2010, 11:48:00 PM »
I read the post where Dogbyte built a Cool Rattan bow for his son. I know nothing about bow building but I have a piece of Rattan so i'm half way there right?...... Anyway, I am thinking about and adult sized rattan bow. Will it work well? Can it be a self bow or will I have to back it with something? Where do I start?
Any help would be great.
"A Liger, pretty much my favorite animal, it's like a Lion and a Tiger mixed. Bred for its skills in Magic." -Napoleon Dynamite

Offline Dogbyte

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rattan Bow Build help
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »
here is the article i was referring too.

http://www.bowyersedge.com/kidsbows.html

you can modify it maybe by adjusting the length and just simply tapering the limbs further. only thing that would change is limb lenth. although i dont know about starting the taper from the handle to the tips as early as i do on a kid bow, might make the limbs to flimsy on a longer bow.

i dont know anything about being a Bowyer, but you could maybe back the cut edge of the rattan to make it more stiff. maybe someone on here as done it before.
Genesis 21:20 God was with the lad, and he grew; and he lived in the wilderness and became an archer.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
You can make a heavier weight rattan bow.  They are not the greatest for efficiency but they don't break.  I have made ones up to 50#.  You don't have to back it.  Rattan is tremendous in tension strength.  Not so much in compression.  It's also heavy.

We make a bunch every year at Cloverdale.  Kid\\'s Bows
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline AZ_Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
Where in the world do you find rattan?  I can find plenty of furniture, but no lumber.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
http://www.bambooandrattan.com/   Don't know their minimums though.  I buy a bunch at a time for the kids bows.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Greg2201

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
Thanks for the advise guys. Looks like I might be better off using the rattan for kids bows and using some wood for my first bow build. If I ever decide to start one. Be a good winter project if I can finish some of my spring projects to make some room.
"A Liger, pretty much my favorite animal, it's like a Lion and a Tiger mixed. Bred for its skills in Magic." -Napoleon Dynamite

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
Like the article says, you can build one with a draw knife if you don't have the machinery. Either way, you can have one done in a half hour by yourself. It's cool to see rattan kids bows come back all blinged up with snake skins and leather wrapped handles. I like the cool sharpie marker decorating jobs the kids do themselves. BTW that little girl standing next to me at the bandsaw in the article is now almost 14, stands 5'-11" and shoots a selfbow made by Dano! We still have those rattan bows at home though. Hope to let a grandchild shoot one someday. Both of my daughters have kids bows autographed by Dean Torges.  
 :archer2:
Got wood? - Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©