Author Topic: how my floor tiller?  (Read 373 times)

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
how my floor tiller?
« on: September 23, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »
just throwing this up from the PDA , otherwise i woulda posted in my thread.

thats just roughed out to shape , havent done any belly tiler , but to me it looks good. theres a few spots to clean up , but this is close to the marked out profile as i like to get to...

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how my floor tiller?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
and dont mind the short shirt... im a hillbilly...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
Looks good. What is your next step? Jawge

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »

got some set from doing floor tiller and testing , but im going to have to steam it or heat it to take the arc out of it , but i dont know if i should do that before tillering or after.

when it was a whole board , it looked like the arc was the whole length , evenly , as if it was on its side at a 45* angle at the store. now it looks like the bend is right about where the halfed-fade is , but im not sure it isnt just the way the pattern was marked. i should have probably taken into account straightening first , but i was pretty eager to get to it...

anyways , let me know what you think. this vid was after some eaaaaasy pulling tosee how far it would go...i pulled it as far as i could  and didnt hear one crack...

looks like i might have an eye for this...(now its going to break , great...)

all done with a 2" victorinox swiss , scaled blade...this is already 14 hours...

-hov

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »
just realized the string had moved before the vid , so it was pulling about 6" from where it was supposed to be...

just used some walmart outdoor cordage (NOT para) , and the stuff stretches like mad , and doesnt hold its shape in a knot for shh.

ended up just running a bind , like starting fly tying thread , then threw a tight whip over that. once i twisted the cord enough that it kept a little bit of round shape , it held pretty well. im thinking a proper tight turks head would work great for tree tillering..

anyways , what do ya think of the bend , it looked like maybe i took a little too much off the one handle...but its supposed to be a bend handle , i still have to take off about an eighth on each side of the handle , cause the wife has tiny hands...

-hov

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 11:07:00 PM »
doublepost , delete plz

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »
hmmm link doesnt work for me , let me try a repost...

-hov

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 07:46:00 AM »
Too much in the handle.  Work the midlimbs on out to the tips.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
thanks john , going to play around with it tomorrow if i get a chance.

when you say too much , you mean too much period , or just too much at this stage. i still have to clean up the profile of it before i screw with the belly , i was eyeballing it today and theres  a few high spots right about midlimb.

its a full taper , should i have just tapered the 12" from tips in?

-hov

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
Mid limb on needs to bend more. There are builalongs on my site. Jawge
 http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
ok so i went out today and cleaned it all up really good , got it to where i want it as far as sides are concerned . i took another video , and its still about the same , i didnt get a whole lot of bend in the tips after cleanup. i didnt expect much , but they are still pretty stiff.

right now the tips are 3/8 , and they are still 1/2" thick , as it came. so now without narrowing the tips , it would seem my next step is to start belly tillering. i dont want to screw up at this point , so let me know if i should narrow the tips , or thin them out.

as a side note , i got 5 cane shafts (raw) in from TSHOOTER , and its awesome. i cut a knock into one , just for S&G , and using the high stretch cord i rigged to floor tiler it , i launched the stick from it... it was a thing of beauty even for the very rough form its in , to see a bent up stick of river grass fly through the yard...

i cant wait to see what happens once its finished. now i need to ask around for an old feed bag to fill up with something to make a target...

thanks everyone so far for all the help

-hov

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©