Author Topic: String Building  (Read 445 times)

Offline Blue Tick

• Trad Bowhunter
String Building
« on: September 24, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »
Guys, I am just about complete with my oven build and jig for a longbow and recurve. Now looking for a bit of help on building strings. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a start to a good flemish?
Sarrels Blue Ridge SR "Autumn Hunter"
Lone Star Skull Works

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String Building
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
Tick, go to the how-to thread on this site.  There's a good thread on making the jig and string for a flemish string.  There's also a good thread showing how to make an endless loop string.
Stan

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
If you want moving pictures you can't go wrong with "Doin' the Twist." It's a DVD available from shops like 3Rivers or one of its authors, Chad at Champion Custom Bowstrings.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline 003sim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
You Tube has some video from 3 rivers and others on making Flemish Strings

Offline Blue Tick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
Thanks guys....I like pics and videos! I'm diving off into the trad world pretty hard. I find it lots for fun and relaxing than my wheel bows.
Sarrels Blue Ridge SR "Autumn Hunter"
Lone Star Skull Works

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
If your anywhere close to Adkins come on over, always nice to meet a convert.....

Welcome

Mike
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline Jason Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
It's the coolest thing to have crafted all your archery gear yourself. Bow, strings, arrows, quiver etc. When you can look up and realize that you don't need the assistance of anyone to provide or maintain your archery gear for you it is a tremendous feeling of accomplishment. I'm even in the process of learning to sew. I want to make all my own wool and fleece hunting clothes. Where in Texas are you?

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »
I just made my first couple flemish strings and I'm hooked.  I used this tutorial:    http://www.rmsgear.com/tutorial_string_2bundle.htm

I can't remember where I got my jig pattern from, but they're all about the same (at least the short versions are.)  I simply took my best guess at the length, made my first string and that ended up being my calibration point on the jig.

I really like how my strings came out, I think I like them better than the string that came with my new bow, as it has the cabled effect going on instead of being nice and round.  But that's a FF string, and I need to pony up for some spools of that first.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline dcmeckel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
Yeah,ThreeRivers has a great DVD and a really simple jig.Should get you started on the right track.

Offline Loren Holland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 12:29:00 AM »
if you are close to Austin? PM me. i'd be happy to twist one up.

Offline REM

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Rick's Traditional Bowstrings
    • Rick's Traditional Bowstrings
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
If you study 3 Rivers DVD and Chad's "Doing the Twist" you will be set.  3 River's DVD is very simple and Chad's DVD is more detailed.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
Can't go wrong with doin' the twist.

you can get it from champion custom bowstrings which is a sponsor here or just PM Chad He goes by LBR here.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Dublin Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 11:43:00 PM »
I'll echo the sentiment of my fellow Texans; if you're near Erath county I'll help you out.  Truthfully, though, it's pretty easy to do.  You can look up "reverse twist" and practice on a couple of boot laces, or make cordage from jute, and then repeat the process using the B-50 (or whatever.)  Laying in a loop is the only other thing you'll need to do if you plan on having a timber hitch on the other end.
Everyone's better off when everyone's better off.

Offline Innocente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
i hate spending cash, so after buying some dirt cheap b50 and wax, i found plans for building a jig on the net (sam harper's ez plans:   http://poorfolkbows.com/flemish1.htm)   then got on youtube, watched literally 10 different videos in a row, til i figured out the twist.

(cost: $0 for a scrap board, a buck for nails, $8 for string, $4 for wax, and zero for youtube).

it's really simple, once you figure it out, and it's super fun to do.  i have made like 10 strings for every bow i've ever built. now i look for reasons to make more. (ooh this one's frayed...TRASH!  time for another string!)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©