Author Topic: First sinew job W/pics  (Read 417 times)

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
First sinew job W/pics
« on: September 24, 2010, 04:37:00 PM »
I put my first sinew on a bow today. I have some gaps on it, will this be OK and how long will it take to dry? It is an Osage stave
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Mark Smeltzer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First sinew job W/pics
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
How many layers do you have on? You can go back and add more to fill in spaces.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
I have one layer on now.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Mark Smeltzer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
I normally put 3-4 layers on at the same time. I know some people wait between layers but I tried it and did not see a difference, except I had a separation between layers one time when I waited.
I would say just keep going, try to keep it smooth and even and lay them like bricks, overlapping. On the last layer pay special attention to the surface your leaving, you can do some minor sanding to sinew but not really recommended because it compromises the fiber backing. I almost always cover sinew with snake skin (because I don't like the way sinew looks) and it covers the imperfections. I'm getting ready to do another right now using TBIII for the first time. I usually use hide glue. Keep us posted.

Mark

Offline MercilessMing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 07:33:00 AM »
  I'm getting ready to do another right now using TBIII for the first time. I usually use hide glue.
I was thinking of using TBIII or TBII as well when I saw Ed Scott video of making Owl Bow.  Let us know how that comes out.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
Tite bond 111 is more water proof than 11. After the sinew is finished and dry you can mix osage saw dust and watery tite bond 111 to make a putty to fill in any crevices. afterwards sand smooth.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
I used Tite Bond II with Flax to make a couple of bow limb repairs on my Osage longbow, and it's help beautifully. Although, I haven't gotten it wet yet, but I don't hunt in the rain anyway. I was going to buy the TB III but the hardware shop didn't have any, so I got the TB II instead. That stuff holds like iron.
I wonder how good it works for laminating risers?
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
11 and 111 are great for wood to wood jobs including bamboo.I think Pat B. said it will release at about 150 degrees.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Mark Smeltzer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »
Do you Guys using TB.III for sinew soak the sinew in water or just TBII.?

Mark

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
I have two layers on, is that enough? can you curve the tips with the sinew on after it is dry?

Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline stickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
I have never used anthing but hide glue but it seems that if the sinew is not wet which is what makes it swell and stretch and when it dries on the bow and shrinks thats what gives it power.I always soak it in water and squeze exess water out in a paper towel then dip it in my hide glue.then you have to stay with it until it starts to stick good and make sure you work the strands to make them as straight as possible because if they are not they will build no tesion when the bow is drawn.

Offline yamapup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »
Ranger, I had good success putting the bows inside near an air conditioner vent. I left it there for at least a week. I worried about leaving the bow outside in the humidity and also worried about cats and other wildlife chewing on it. Worked really well. Pup

Offline Mark Smeltzer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »
I plan on getting the sinew wet and then putting in a shallow pan of TBIII, then apply like normal.

I don't know if two layers is enough I have always used 3-4. I would not try appling much heat after I sinew. I have used mild heat to make small corrections but recurving may not go to well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©