Author Topic: Converting a 1 piece recurve to a 2 piece  (Read 226 times)

Offline recurvericky

• Trad Bowhunter
Converting a 1 piece recurve to a 2 piece
« on: September 26, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
I am interested in converting a recurve that I have into a two piece bow. I was thinking about using a sleeve. Does anyone have experience turning a 1 piece recurve into a 2 piece? Also, what is the best conector and why?
Recurvericky
Richmond, Ks

Traditionalist have more fun!

Offline Jason Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Converting a 1 piece recurve to a 2 piece
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »
I am about to embark on the same journey. Have been studying buildalongs quite a bit and from my understanding it is more difficult converting a completed bow than building a bow with take down in mind. keeping alignment between the finished tips is the problem.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
I have been looking into this as well. My thinking is that a recurve, with a cut-in grip and full shelf, wouldn't work with a sleeve. They work for longbows with Hill Style handles/grips.

I have looked at several of the hinge type and hook-latch type. Seems to me that the Bow Bolt System looks the best to me. Doesn't look too tough to install.

I think the hardest part will be the initial "wrongness" of cutting a perfectly good bow in half.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Joey V.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
Why do you want to do this?  I understand from shipping / travel standpoint but unless you are a world traveler hunter I wouldn't do it....

If you just want to make the bow a two piece for the heck of it or to “Improve” upon it then I have an old proverb for you:  The enemy of good is better……

Ponder what that means before you bust out the old hacksaw LOL

Offline Jason Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
I think what Joey means is if it is a good shooter as a one piece leave it alone. It most likely will not be as good if you convert it. But, if you have other more favorite bows and want a project then do it.

Offline Mark Smeltzer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 08:27:00 AM »
Here is a very cool way to do it and still make the bow look good.

http://www.piratesofarchery.net/bb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8014

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©