Author Topic: Call me crazy....  (Read 234 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Call me crazy....
« on: September 27, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
My first big boy bow was a Bear Blacktail Hunter I got when I was an early teen. Now at 45 I want to revive the wheel bow but in a crazy fashion. I took it apart and have the riser separate from the limbs. What I would like to do, or have done, is to have some limbs made to have a traditional style longbow with the metal alloy handle.

Is there a bowyer out there that might help me? I would like some fiberglass laminate limbs made that are straight. I have to strip the handle first and get it powdercoated. This bow has some sentimental value to me so yes, call me crazy.

Just casting a line to see what bites I might get.

Thanks for reading. I will post some pics so you can see what I'm talking about.

Bud
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Call me crazy....
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 11:19:00 PM »

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 11:28:00 PM »
You're talking about a "warf" bow. Do a search here on TradGang for that term and you'll get some information.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »
Thanks for the tip.

Interesting reads.

Is there anyone doing this now that is a bowyer that you know of?

I'll try to search some Samick limbs to work on....maybe their dimensions could work.

Anyone else have input?

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 07:48:00 AM »
You may just be able to pick up a set of limbs from a bear 76er...

The issue with converting that riser to use anything else is the method of attachment.  There doesn't appear to be sufficient material to drill out for any of the typical limb bolts or ILF fittings.  What is there isn't much different than the 76er though.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=002674
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 08:29:00 AM »
I may take the original limbs and make some plain wood copies so I can drill and tap a hole in the right place for a bolt to hold the limbs on. The original limbs were held in by pressue. The cables wouldn't allow that pressure to be relaxed to the point release of the limbs was a possibility. With recurve or longbow limbs that is possible, I guess.

I've got to get the calipers out and start to work. Maybe some flat hickory or red oak.

Thanks for the replies.

If a bowyer has some material ideas I'm wide open for info. This would make a great bowfishing rig. Carp around here are great game fish in the spring.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »
I wonder if you could leave it so the string pressure would hold them in or just put one bolt at most then it would be a 3 piece take down. Just thinking out loud.
Oh I almost for got
CRAZY! :}

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©