Author Topic: Bowstring rule  (Read 473 times)

Offline Chris Grimbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
Bowstring rule
« on: October 03, 2010, 12:47:00 PM »
What is the rule for how many inches shorter a string should be on a longbow? I know its 4 inches shorter for a recurve.
Chris

Offline traditionalman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowstring rule
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
I make mine 3 inches shorter on my longbows.
Gary King

Offline Chris Grimbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
Thanks
Chris

Offline Dublin Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 11:49:00 PM »
I use a timber hitch and adjust it to get a good brace height (fistmele or just clearing the fletching.)  This means I can make it any length I want.

Oops, I should have asked whether your thinking of a Flemish twist or an endless string.  The endless isn't adjustable.
Everyone's better off when everyone's better off.

Offline Chris Grimbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 06:45:00 AM »
Im doing a flemish twist.
Chris

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 08:01:00 AM »
What is the bow?

The rules only apply if the bow is made to AMO specs, and it's 3" shorter than AMO length for longbows AND recurves.

AMO standards were adopted in Feb of '68.  A HUGE pet peeve of mine is bowyers and string makers not using AMO specs or worse yet, marking  their product as "AMO" when it clearly is not!!  If the bowyer doesn't go by the standards than it's a crap shoot.  I've had recurves that needed anything from 3-5" shorter than the marked length and longbows that needed 1-4" shorter than marked.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Chris Grimbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »
Well I was just wondering in general for self bows I have not made yet.
Chris

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
i have been looking , but what does AMO stand for?

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline Dublin Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 10:02:00 AM »
Archery Manufacturer's Association

If Flemish twist you can make the string as long as the bow, put the timber hitch wherever gives the best brace height, and twist the string for fine tuning.
Everyone's better off when everyone's better off.

Offline Chris Grimbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »
I was going to make it a endless loop flemish style shown in this video      videos make it alot easier to learn
Chris

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »
Just to be clear, an Endless Loop string is one type and a Flemish is another.
That video shows Flemish.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Gundog68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 01:38:00 AM »
A string length for a bow by AMO is always 3" shorter than the bow. In fact, the bowlength is 3" longer than the necessary string.
It is the same for recurves and longbows. I have several books where a 4" shorter string for recurves is recommend, but by AMO, it is wrong.

Gundog

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 02:23:00 AM »
seems to me that unless you are planning to shoot competitions, or sell large numbers of bows, as a hobby bowyer you can make a bow any way you choose! Take a look at the incredible range of bows in the world. "Wrong" for AMO yes but don't get hung up on it if the bow is for going out into the wild or the back yard to fling some arrows. "Ideal" might be a goal - ideal performance for the bow you are making. AMO standards are manufacturers' standards and for the most part are fine but don't get stuck on it.
just my2c
chrisg

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
Gundog, you were doing so well!!!  AMO is always 3" longer than the string that braces the properly (as you said).  However, since that is totally independent of bow type or length, the old rule of thumb of 4" shorter than the bow length (as MEASURED, not the AMO length) for recurves and 3" shorter for long bows is also a valid rule of thumb.  The key here is to not confuse the actual length of the bow with the AMO length.  AMO length of a bow cannot be measured.  It is a contrived number 3" longer than whatever the proper string (as determined by the bowyer) is.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
so its just a way of saying theres no way to standardize it , but if we tried , we'd call it amo...

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline Loren Holland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 12:32:00 AM »
I twist in a loop, the smaller one, and put it in the knock, then twist away on autopilot while watching discovery or something. when i get to the other end i lay my hand across the belly with one side of my palm on the knock. I twist in the second loop, the bigger one, and make  the end of it touch the inside edge of my hand. not scientific, but its worked so far. i rarely have to twist  more than a few times to adjust the length (except for after the first good stretch, cause i don't use prestressed string).  most of the time i just retwist the second loop and inch shorter after the string stretches, cause i don't like twisting the string that much, as it weakens it.

its no amo...but its worked everytime for me

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©