Author Topic: juniperus virginiana  (Read 294 times)

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
juniperus virginiana
« on: October 04, 2010, 08:21:00 AM »
Anyone make a bow from them?

I'm kicking myself.

I do trees as a hobby business.  We removed a bunch of these guys along a fenceline.  Several 8 inches or more, and planted a couple feet apart so there were sides with no real branches.  I remember thinking they were tough as iron, and might make a good bow wood.  But I didn't say anything to the crew, and when I walked back around they were already being bucked up.  There are a few lengths that someone took for a garden project, I want to look through those and see if there is anything that seems salvagable.  But the clearest parts are now firewood.

Today I looked up the wood to learn more about it, and sure enough - it shows up as a great bow wood for sinew backing.  Darn it....

:knothead:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: juniperus virginiana
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
my  new  lesson after watching the guys cut down a 60ft hickory in my in-laws front yard : every tree can be utilized in some way.

keep some of that juniper even if its for overlays and risers. you  never know...

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
I use juniper for veneers and so have others on here.  They are real nice under glass.  

Shawn

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
Juniper virginiana is Eastern Red Cedar and can make a very good bow. Try to find a piece with as few knots as possible. Knots can be the Achiles heal of an ERC bow. You can use just the heartwood, a combo or heart and sap wood or just the sapwood alone if it is un-diseased.
   ERC can be VERY EXCITING when it blows!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by Pat B:
Juniper virginiana is Eastern Red Cedar and can make a very good bow. Try to find a piece with as few knots as possible. Knots can be the Achiles heal of an ERC bow. You can use just the heartwood, a combo or heart and sap wood or just the sapwood alone if it is un-diseased.
   ERC can be VERY EXCITING when it blows!
Wow, I'm all for VERY EXCITING.

I think I found a log that was saved that a couple of knot free bows could be pulled out of.  However, I think we're talking an all sapwood bow as the sapwood is half the diameter and the heartwood has more knots.  But we'll see. I'll give it a shot.  I was reading that it goes well with sinew backing, maybe that'll be my first foray into sinew.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
The all sapwood bow I saw and shot was an ELB style bow pulling 45# to 50#. Shot very well and the bow had very little set.
  ERC should be a very good candidate for sinew backing. I have a 49" ERC bow blank, 50/50 sapwood/heartwood that I plan to sinew back.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 06:25:00 AM »
Great.  I'm going to see if I can split a couple decent staves out of what's left.  Make sure you post when you start working on yours.

-Dave
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©