3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Longbow or recurve?  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Turkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Longbow or recurve?
« on: February 14, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
OK, im new here and currently shoot a recurve but was wondering what the advantages/disadvantages were to shooting a longbow instead of a recurve. Please enlighten me.  Im more interested in actual reasons for and against not just opinions.
J.K. Traditions Kanati 56" 52#@27"

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow or recurve?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 08:30:00 PM »
There's no advantages in  a longbow, .....that's why we like them   :bigsmyl:
"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
I really don't know... I just shoot a long bow better...

I also have to agree with Manny....

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
Generally, the recurve has more advantages.  Because of its limb design, it's a little faster for a given weight.  Also because of the limb design, they usually draw a little smoother and don't stack as quickly toward the end of the draw.  Because the risers are usually larger and heavier, they reduce felt hand shock.  Because they're usually cut to or past center, they usually accept a wider range of arrow spines.  They're usually shorter than longbows.  Some consider that an advantage.  Most recurves have medium or high wrist grips, which those switching from compounds usually find more comfortable than low wrist grips, which most longbows have.  Of course, there are exceptions to every one of these generalizations, but there you have it.  By the way, I shoot longbows.

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
Recurves seems nicer, maybe smoother to shoot but I shoot my longbows much better. There's just something about that simple stick...
DonD

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »
For me it is a personal preference I started out with a longbow and have always mainly shot a longbow.I like the looks of a D-shape bows and just plain shoot them better.Maybe it is becaused I'm used to longbows.I have played with  alot of nice recurves but never really cared for a recurve type grip.When I think of Traditional archery I think of longbows.Nothing against recurves they just are not for me.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 09:35:00 PM »
try both before you buy. recurves and longbows both have thier merits. I still can't make up my mind, so I shoot both.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Shawn Rackley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 12:03:00 AM »
just my two cents but i like longbows more. because it seems i just point at what i wanna shoot and its a straight line there. most recurves i have shot, even higher# seem to Arch into the target. with  all my longbows it seems they just shoot more flat. maybe its just me.
also its the simplicity.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 01:47:00 AM »
Some will say a Longbow is better for Hunting.
Especialy with moving game....I too just like the simplictity of the D shaped bow....
    I own a Saxon Anerican Traditional and a Howard Hill Big Five and I have a Sentman Razorback on order....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 08:21:00 AM »
Ditto everything above......

One advantage a longbow sometimes has over the recurve TO ME is that they seem to be more quiet at the shot....
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 08:45:00 AM »
The advantage is the style you like.....
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 08:58:00 AM »
I like a variety of recurves and I like the Crow Creek Black Feather longbow.  I'll have another one some day!

I like the mass in the riser of T/D bows and I prefer recurve/semi-pistol style grips.  I shoot recurves better on the average, but the average for longbows went up when I bought a Crow Creek Black Feather!

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 09:13:00 AM »
Stacy Groscup would have disproved the statement that longbows were better for moving targets 8^).
I watched him hit six aspirins in a row with his Zipper recurve.  The aspirins were moving at the time.

I like both.  Accuracy advantages go to the recurve for me, but I like the longbow as well.

Offline houseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 09:28:00 AM »
I just shoot alot better with a longbow.  Have 2 curves that just hang on the wall now.
Semper Fi

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by George D. Stout:
Stacy Groscup would have disproved the statement that longbows were better for moving targets 8^).
I watched him hit six aspirins in a row with his Zipper recurve.  The aspirins were moving at the time.

I like both.  Accuracy advantages go to the recurve for me, but I like the longbow as well.
George,

There's a young man that Mr. Groscup mentored, Frank Addington, Jr., and I believe he shoots with a Hoyt ILF recurve.  He has a finger tab that was a gift from Mr. Groscup and remains a prized possession.  The young fella also shoots aspirin out of the air, although he does acknowledge that Mr. Groscup was the BEST!    :)

Below are a couple of link to Addington's thoughts on Mr. Groscup.

http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/publish/AddingtonGroscupDeath.shtml  

http://www.frankaddingtonjr.com/seeing.htm

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 11:06:00 AM »
Bill,  I knew Stacy and he was quite a fellow. He always attended the Pa. Bowhuner's Festival in Sullivan County every September.  Hopefully, Frank will continue his legacy at Forksville.

Offline GrnMtnTradNut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
I have not shot either one alot but I have found a long bow while shooting with Vermonster13 that I fell in love with I will purchase this to hunt and shoot with, but I say shoot as many and own as many as you can they are all fun to shoot.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 12:38:00 PM »
Shoot both to see which you like.  Make sure the bows are tuned correctly so you get a true "feel" fot it. Then buy which one is the most natural and accurate for you to shoot.  I personally prefer the riser mass of a recurve and like the way they draw better.  

Just my opinion,
-Charlie

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »
My friend has a longbow that points so naturally inside 20 yards that I now understand how people say they shoot longbows better under hunting conditions.  The only thing I don't like is the hand shock.  I've never shot one that didn't have significantly more than a recurve.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline fxe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »
To me the recurve just felt better.I just switched from compound 2 years ago.The grip felt more pleasing to me.More of what I was used to.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©