Author Topic: Need help with brace hieght and info on this bow  (Read 225 times)

Offline ToddRvs

• Trad Bowhunter
Need help with brace hieght and info on this bow
« on: October 08, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
I have an old Gordon Plastics recurve bow from California. This is a wood recurve bow that is backed by fiberglass and typicle style of early to late 60's vintage recurve bows. The bow is 62 inches from tip to tip. This is measured from the belly side and following it to the end.  It is 60 inches from string nock end to string nock end.  The only markings on the bow are Gordon Plastics from California and a number 54 written by marker on the bow rizer.  I believe this is the draw weight. I am hoping to find information on the history of this bow when it was made the correct model name etc.

My other issue is with the brace height. I purchased a 62 AMO string for it that is 58 inches long. I am only getting a brace height with this string of 5.25 inches which does not seem correct. I have placed several twists in the string and now I have a 6.25 brace height.

Does any one know what the correct brace height for this recurve bow should be. I have other recurves and they are all from 7.25 tp 8.5 inches in brace height. Should I go with a shorter string?

thanks
Keep your shafts straight and your feathers dry and may you always shoot true.

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need help with brace hieght and info on this bow
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
I know nothing about your specific bow, but I suspect that your string is too long.  Just twist it up some more and shoot it.  Keep adjusting the brace ht till it shoots straight and quiet.  If you can't twist is that far, try a shorter string.  Remember, the mfgr's suggested brace ht it just that...a suggestion.  As you don't seem to be tapping into anyone with data on the bow, just shoot it and determine for yourself what is right.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©