Author Topic: Questions from a wannabe bowyer  (Read 247 times)

Offline bvarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Questions from a wannabe bowyer
« on: October 10, 2010, 12:23:00 AM »
So I've built several bows now, starting with kits then progressed to buying raw materials.  First four were Boo backed Ipe.  Two of the four broke.  The other two were gifts to step-sons, but shooting them a year later I realize how much hand shock they have and would like to build some nicer replacements.

Then went on to build a R/D hickory backed Ipe bow that came out nice enough to be proud of and shot well.  However, I used polyurathane to finish it and of course had lots of problems getting it to dry.  My biggest mistake was placing it back into the hot box to dry the finish (sounded like a good idea at the time).  Well, six weeks later it began to delam around the handle area.  I used bow grip in the construction, not that it matters much.  In hind-sight I'm sure most glues would have done the same thing.

So I'm wondering if I can drill and glue in three wood pins through the handle (front to back) in an effort to save the bow? Or is it just wasted effort and throw it in the burn pile and start on the next.

Next question is what is the best method for applying CYA glue?  When attempting to put the glue down it is so rough that by the time I finish and sand it smooth again there is almost no glue left.

- Steve

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Questions from a wannabe bowyer
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 05:55:00 AM »
The only failure I've had with delamination was caused by my first and last use of Bowgrip 100.  The largest single factor causing handles to de-laminate it improper design.  If your handle is glued onto a section of bow that bends, it will come off every time, no matter what glue you use.  Make sure your bow doesn't bend where your handle is glued on.  This can be accomplished by using a power lam, or leaving the bow thick in this area.  Don't start thickness tapering your limbs until you are outside the handle area.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Questions from a wannabe bowyer
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »
The reason most handle risers pop off or begin to delaminate is probably due to the bow bending slightly(or more) in the handle arera. With proper design and execution of a rigid handle bow the handle shouldn't pop off or become delaminated. I doubt the glue is the culpret unless it is old and out of date.
  A power lam put under the backing at the handle will prevent the handle area from bending. If you want your limbs to bend right up to the handle or through the handle use thin layers of graduating lengths for your handle riser of a bendy material like heavy leather or cork.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©