Author Topic: Where to get bamboo floor backing  (Read 279 times)

Offline StrykerX_X

• Trad Bowhunter
Where to get bamboo floor backing
« on: October 10, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
I am re-backing my red oak bow because my poor choice of some bad birch veneer started poping off so i want to try bamboo flooring. Where do you get bamboo flooring and how do you get it thin enough for use as a backing, & whats the price for a 72" piece?  Thanks

Offline tradbower

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where to get bamboo floor backing
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
I dont think you should use boo flooring for backing, verticle boo flooring is used for the belly of bows,but never as a backing. If you want a boo backing use the raw bamboo.
"Never to old to learn something new"

Offline StrykerX_X

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
Whats a decent backing that i could get a hold without ordering and for a decent price? Something maybe from a menards,lowes,home depot,or a hardware store? Im trying to keep the price down so if i could get by without ordering it that would be great.
Thanks!

Offline rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
use brown paper like a lawn bag, linnen, or silk.  You could also get a large rawhide chew toy soak it and flatten, then sand it thin.  Why are you backing the bow?  If you are trying to add pounds you could also use sinew.  This time of year go to a deer processor and you should be able to get as much as you want.
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »

Offline Loren Holland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
Stryker,
i started building with red oak, and faced the exact same challenge.  i spliced two pieces of vertical bamboo, sanded it thin, and backed red oak and when i found ipe at a decking supply i backed that too.  it was a waste of time, money, and effort.  the best lesson i learned when i started (and learned the hard way) is go ahead and use good materials.  it may be more expensive to order, but your chances of success rise dramatically.  the frustration level of breaking multiple bows might be avoided.don't just order 1, save the shipping cost by buying 10 and be set for the next bows too, you're going to end up building them anyways.
having said that, there are ways to stay inexpensive...until you order something. find your local lumberyard, i found a local one that would cut hickory strips for me 2 x 1/8th x 72, and if i bought 10 it came out to a few bucks each. go to goodwill, and even though they might look at you funny when you walk out with several cheap ladies silk garments its worth it. try brown paper and TB3 it works.  you can also rip a 1/8 strip off your red oak, flip it and glue it back on (add a little relex while you're at it).
You can however use flooring for bellies and lams, its practically actionboo anyways.

good luck, hope it helps, but don't waste your time with the flooring for a backing, just wanted to save you the bloody nose i got

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©