Author Topic: Tri Lam suggestion for Cherry core  (Read 393 times)

Offline Living_waters

• Trad Bowhunter
Tri Lam suggestion for Cherry core
« on: October 10, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
Ok I am impressionable. KevinL's post about wild cherry got me thinking on building a trilam R&d longbow with a cherry core. Been waiting on some IPE but I done have some good Cherry.
Actually I am going to do 2 One hickory backed and one bamboo backed.
Here is my question, what should I use on the belly? For me cherry can be finicky, my first trilam exploded while tillering (black walnut, maple and cherry)
On hand I have walnut,juiper, maple and hickory. I know cherry is good in compresion, but didn't really want to use it on the belly. Any advice?

The second question, Has any one got a working model of the lam thickness of a all wood trilam 68" at 55#? I haven't had a working trilam yet, glass would come in around .280 to .290 over all
"Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'” Jesus

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tri Lam suggestion for Cherry core
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
I would use a compression strong wood like ipe or osage for the belly lam.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Living_waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
The reason I am not using IPE as the core is access. The only supplier I have is a 2 hour drive and then it is 8 to 10 bucks a board foot. And at the moment I have no good supplier for Osage lumber.
So I was trying to stay with something local, My addiction to bow building limits me on how much I can spent on a bow...If I sink to much in one, I won't get to build the next one right away and will have to wait.   "[dntthnk]"

I have One source that says White Ash has a compression strength or 2250 which is real close to Osage at 2600 and they show IPE at 1850
"Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'” Jesus

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
why not use the hickry you have?

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
Use your hickory on the back, walnut core and maple belly. Might should put a powerlam in too. Thats just my opinion. I dont think white ash is anywhere close to osage or ipe in compression strength.

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
id use the hickory  or get some white oak  brock
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 10:35:00 PM »
LIVING WATER  S SORRY  I RE READ  UR POST  YOU STATED THAT A ALL WOOD TRI LAM WOULD HAVE A WORKING THICKNESS OF .280-,290 GLASS??? IM LOST   A ALL WOOD  TRI LAM  IS 3 DIFFRENT WOOD  TOTAL NO GLASS ?? I MAKE TRI LAMS SOMTIMES AND  I USE HICKORY OR BOO FOR THE BACKIN AND  MY MIDDLE WOOD WHATS RARE AND WHAT I HAVE A LOT OF  FOR THE BELLY  SO IM THINKIN LIKE YOU STATED  GO WITH HICKORY BACK CHERRY MID LAM AND JUNIPER BELLY THAT D LOOK COOL  BRO BUT NO GLASS  BROCK
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Offline okie64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
Living waters, dimensions that worked best for me on trilams are 1/8" backing, 1/8" core and then 1/4 or 3/8" belly. They start out pretty heavy but that way you got plenty of wood to scrape off the belly and get the tiller right.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©