Author Topic: Delamination  (Read 347 times)

Offline briandean

• Trad Bowhunter
Delamination
« on: October 14, 2010, 01:12:00 AM »
Another question:
Is it possible to repair a limb that has started delaminating?
“He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze.” Psalm 18:34

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Delamination
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 01:40:00 AM »
I had an air bubble under clear glass over Zebra wood about 6 inches from the tip. I used my electric heat gun and a putty knife to seperate the glass from the lam, then reglued the glass and clamped the limb without reheating the bow. Could not even tell there was a problem afterwards and the bow shoots and looks great.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Joey V.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
Good idea JamesV!  The real issue is to make sure you never have a delam again....  What I started doing is applying the epoxy with a gloved finger.  This way I can feel that the lams are getting a good thick coat.  I also let the coat sink in for about a minute before I go on to the next lam.  I used to apply the Epoxy with a wooden spatula like Bingham’s video showed me years ago when I started.  I had a few delam spots on this limbs.  Since the new way of doing it with my finger I have limbs approaching 6 yrs old and thousands of shoots with no issues in any of them.  A word of warning always where a rubber glove if you do this because if you run a bare finger over ruffed up fiberglass you will run small splinters in yourself!  You will also need to mix double the amount of epoxy and yes it will squeeze out a ton as you apply the pressure.  I would much rather waist an extra $5 worth of glue than ruin a $100 set of limbs....

Offline briandean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 07:38:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice :-)
“He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze.” Psalm 18:34

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
I had a Mojostik delam on me. At least 3in's all the way across the belly. I used a small piece of wood to hold the lams open. Mixed 2-ton epoxy thinned with acetone & applied it with a syringe. clamped it for 24 hrs. Still holding very nicely.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Hermann From Bavaria

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 01:51:00 AM »
My brothers recurve dalaminated in the top limb recurve section. we pulled the lams apart, mixed epoxy and warmed it up until it was thin like water. now we applied it to the limb, and tightened it with inner tubes. now its stable again.

greets
in past even the future was better, so what do you want?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©