Author Topic: Arrow Footings with a Router and Saw  (Read 356 times)

Offline Rattus58

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow Footings with a Router and Saw
« on: October 22, 2010, 01:06:00 PM »
I don't know if this the right place for this, but if not please direct me to the right forum.

Question... if you took a footing blank and sawed a slot in it... say 6" and then routered an arrow on two sides to make a 6" joint piece (sorry I'm not familiar with carpentry terms)to where you'd sand or router material off the arrow shaft to make a male fitting to slide into the cut slot.

Not pretty maybe, but would it work and have strength?

Thank you in advance.

Much Aloha...  :cool:

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow Footings with a Router and Saw
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
Most of the footed blanks are sawed 5-5 1/2 inches, and then the arrow shaft is laid on a sander (belt type) to make the wedge. The key is putting a clamp just above your cut slot, otherwise the wood will possibly split when you drive the arrow wedge in place. Let the glue dry and finish it out.

good luck

Mike
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline Rattus58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
I've played with v cuts and have had varying success so far but that is what promted my question... using a router to make a dowel I had this brainstorm... or sewage spill depending on whether it works or not...  :)  about no fancy splice, but a square cut and and square cut arrow shaft to make up the splice.

Good idea on the clamp... thanks...

Much Aloha... Tom

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
rattus, sounds like you'd have to "jig up" to do it meaning you'd have to make a jig to hold the footing vertically. Again the footing piece would have to be held vertically in the table saw if you use it to cut the slot. I use a handsaw to cut the slots. I do my footings with hand tools. Info on my site. Jawge
 http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/

Offline William F. Adams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
This is an old and traditional way to make footings:

http://www.archerylibrary.com/books/flatbow/docs/arrows08.html

William

Offline Rattus58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »

This is kinda what I'm thinking.... the male side being the arrow with the female being the footing...

Good... idear... bad idear...  :)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
The page William posted is accurate. Don't do them like your drawing shows, rattus. Jawge

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
There's info on my site and a buildalong. Jawge

Offline Rattus58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 03:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by George Tsoukalas:
The page William posted is accurate. Don't do them like your drawing shows, rattus. Jawge
I've done some with the v slots with so so results so far because of my lack of good wood working experience.. but this was something I wondered about since I'm now making dowels with my router, i wondered hey....

So tell me... and I don't mind being wrong.. but what would the problems be with this approach?

Much Aloha..  :cool:

Offline Rattus58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 03:29:00 AM »
I love your site by the way... thank you for being so generous with your experience and expertise....

Much Aloha.. Tom

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 07:56:00 AM »
The method you propose, which is basically a modified mortise and tenon, creates sharp 90 degrees interfaces that, when subjected to the forces placed on an arrow, will fracture and fail.  Traditional footing techniques employ a taper for that very reason.  I hope this helps.
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
Small glue joint, thin area after the glue joint after you round the footing, harder to do. rattus, I wouldn't do it that way for the reasons mentioned but it's up to you. I always like to warn when I see something  that departs from the way it was done in the past and that may be unsafe but it is totally up to you. I often fix broken arrows with footings that just have a regular taper and they seem to hold ok. Up to you. Jawge

Offline Rattus58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
Small glue joint, thin area after the glue joint after you round the footing, harder to do. rattus, I wouldn't do it that way for the reasons mentioned but it's up to you. I always like to warn when I see something  that departs from the way it was done in the past and that may be unsafe but it is totally up to you. I often fix broken arrows with footings that just have a regular taper and they seem to hold ok. Up to you. Jawge
I'm not a woodworker. I am only just now getting into fussing with this stuff, and I'm learning. The square joints thing makes sense to me.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »
Thanks, rattus. You are welcome. Glad to do it.Thanks for using it.  Jawge

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©