Author Topic: Dumb question...  (Read 348 times)

Offline Chris Grimbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
Dumb question...
« on: October 26, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
Hey guys. Say I had a 60 inch flatbow that was about 40# and had a 26 inch draw, and I stung it backwards and glued some hickory or sinew or rawhide to the belly? would it gain weight? Would horn be the best for this like in the turkish horsebows? Just wondering.
Chris

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dumb question...
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »
they say not to string em backwards. i remember doing this with my red fiberglass kids bow i had , and it made it almost sort of reflex. i threw it out a while later when i realized i had made it splinter...

i have been reading up on sinew , and if you use sinew it will pull your bow a bit backwards , and you can/will gain weight depending how much and how you apply it. it would also give you some assurance as a backing...

i take it you came in under weight?
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
You can add a wood belly lam and increase the draw weight. What wood is your bow?  If it was made from a board you could add a hickory backing to increase draw weight. For a stave a sinew backing will increase draw weight. Rawhide won't add draw weight but will give the back protection from splintering.
...or you could give that bow to a neighborhood kid and build yourself another, more appropriate bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »
or make some flu flu arrows and teach your dog to throw you the frisbee for a change...

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline Chris Grimbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 02:33:00 PM »
I dont actually have a bow for this I was just using the one I listed as an example because in the past I had wondered if I could do this. Thanx guys.
Chris

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
My hunting bow for this year is a 60" osage static recurve that came in under weight.(45#@26") I added a thin belly slat of Argentine osage and she is now 55#@26". You can do the same with a thin hickory backing or sinew backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©