Author Topic: Hot box build along  (Read 1355 times)

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hot box build along
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 07:48:00 AM »
I had not thought of a snap disc...where could I get one and what temp did you guys get?

Offline SteveD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 08:05:00 AM »
Very Nice. Great job.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
nice job! when I got started in 2009 I built mine to the Bingham specs and I added castor wheels too. One thing I see with your design is that the lights will not burn your pressure hose or top of form.. do you preheat your laminations? if you do will you add a piece of metal shelfing or some 2x2 cross braces to hold the lams above the lights? I have been laying mine on the bottom of the box and I dont think I am getting good air circulation arround the lams during preheat.. with that good insulation I bet you can hit 180 degrees with 75 watt bulbs. I have plain foil insulation and hit 165 with 100 watt lights, I am in Florida and my shop is usually atleast 75 degrees with the dehumidifier on..I always enjoy your posts, thanks for sharing!

Offline K30bowfisher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »
that is a nice hot box. I like the lights on the bottom idea, if I had seen this before O built mine I probably would have done it your way. Very nice.

I built my hot box from Bingham's plans, I bought my snap disc from them. It turns off the lights at 180 and turns them back on at 150.
It is better to be approximately right than exactly wrong.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
I use a 15 amp pin timer to turn lights off, I also use the thermostat (snap disc) that Binghams sells. I put a turkey thermometer thru the side of the box to check temps. I have seen the digital controlers, they look like the way to go..

Offline Big-un08

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2010, 06:11:00 PM »
Brad, the disc that I purchased opens at 190 degrees and closes at 150 degrees. You can get them on the auction site fairly reasonable.
Experience is something that you do not get until right after you need it!!!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline GREG IN MALAD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
you can also get snap disks at an appliance repair shop,they are used in dryers. I have a 190 degree disk. Make sure it OPENS at the high temp setting.
I didnt miss, thats right where I was aiming

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
Thanks for the info. I received the ETC today and have it all installed.  I will pick up the snap disc as well and install that next.  I am thinking 100 watt bulbs may just to the trick.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
Nice job!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Blue Tick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
Very nice build along. Thanks!
Sarrels Blue Ridge SR "Autumn Hunter"
Lone Star Skull Works

Offline Pac'em out

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
Very cool, Brad.  Good job and great build along.  Thanks.

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
i have yet to need an oven , but when the time comes , this is the kind of thing i hope i throw together ...

of course my handle wont be so awesome...

and the wife is really going to question whats going into a sealed box with lights...mmmmmhmmmmmm....

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline Rattus58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
Excellent... thank you..

Much Aloha.. Tom  :cool:

Offline Blue Tick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
Brad,

Do you have a thermostat control on it? Do you know what the temps inside will reach and hold?
Sarrels Blue Ridge SR "Autumn Hunter"
Lone Star Skull Works

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
I do have a thermostat control on it...I have the $50 Ranco ETC from flea bay. I have not yet had a chance to test it out to see what it will do.  I installed 4-100 watt bulbs this past weekend but never tested it to see what it will reach.

Offline pmcleare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
I have a question for Brad or anyone else that cares to chime in. I am planning to build a heat box (borrowing Brads plan)but want the be able to use it for drying staves at low temps as well as baking lams. Thus the need for a snap disc that will shut off (open?) at a high temp but remain closed at a low temp, say 75 degrees. I know nothing of snap disc but it sounds like a good safety feature. I assume I want one that has a singular function, opening at a high temp? Any ideas where I could purchase such a critter. I have e-mailed Bignham and am waiting for their response.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
pmcleare,
It would be a manual why but if you had thermometer and used a light dimmer switch (or a rheostat) you would have to play with it a bit but once you figure out at what temps is at what position you could just mark it.
You start at the lowest setting let it heat up and mark it, in pencil  the say a quarter a way let it heat up so forth and so on. I would do it couple of times just to ensure it was constant the permanently mark them. You would have box that you could control the heat and use it for almost anything.
Kelly

Offline pmcleare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »
What if I use an eternal temperature control (ETC)? Just get a manual snap disc with say a 200 degree limit? Should have given more detail on my thought process. Want to use a digital temperature control but wanted the added safety of the snap disc. Don't want to burn the barn down, just got finished building my work shop and outfitting with power tools. Where is the best place to aquire snap disc and temp control. Been looking on the web but would welcome any suggestions. Thanks for your reply Kelly.

Patrick Clearey

Offline Jered Shofner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
Nice work Brad. As usual, I plan on stealing some of your ideas!

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2010, 04:03:00 PM »
Patrick,
I don't have a clue about snap disk at all.
sorry,
Kelly

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©