Author Topic: tillering q...  (Read 241 times)

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
tillering q...
« on: October 27, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »
I've been tillering today , and I was just curious how everyone rough tillers...I'm bending about 3-4 inches on the long string,but it seems like I'm not getting anywhere .I  have been using my rasp, and I remember sam talking about a bevel to within 1/4" of the face,but without making this facet pretty deep, I don't really see it doing much....

any advice ?
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline Loren Holland

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tillering q...
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
hova,
are you excercising the limbs between checking tillering on the tree and wood removal.  you won't see the progress you are making if you don't do this, its possible to remove too much if you don't exercise

on the flip side, be careful to never pull past projected draw weight, this is the best way to make sure you end up with set

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
any advice ?
Yep...be patient and go slow!    :)
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 07:59:00 PM »
yeah , im counting at least 30 , i was starting with 50 , but im just too strong, the bow couldnt handle it , so i only do 30 now , for the bows sake , of course...

i gave a little bit of an angle toward the sides , and then even it off , and its a little better. i started with the cabinet scraper , but that wasnt happening , so now i was rasping a hefty bit more than just my marks. i learned a lot today , so tomorrow should go by fairly easily...

heres some pics....you can check out the other angles/shots of the bow in that album , its all G rated...i think...

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
I use, in order: bandsaw, rasp, scraper, file, sandpaper.  I'm generally getting the bow 1/2" to 5/8" thick on the bandsaw.  This gets it bending enough to floor tiller and I rasp until

I get it bending my 10# less than my target weight at 4-6" short of my target draw length.  In other words, if I want a 50# bow at 27", I shoot for 40# at 22" and then stalk tiller with a scraper.  

I then get it bending 50# at 25" and switch to sandpaper and shooting it in at 25".  It's dang close after 100-200 shots and I still have a couple pounds to spare with the minimum set possible.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 03:23:00 PM »
I don't have a scale just yet, so I'm wingin that side of it, but I was out there a little today , and its comin... I've had it at the same mark for a while now and I am getting them to bend evenly.Once I do that , ill start movin my peg...

also realized why you taper the ends of the gizmo ...lol..

as for a no stretch string, what does everyone use...preferably easy to obtain locally...

-hov

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©