Author Topic: Do ya think....  (Read 296 times)

Offline Col HJ

• Trad Bowhunter
Do ya think....
« on: October 28, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
I just acquired a beautiful and exceptionally straight grained cherry board that in the right hands would no doubt make a fine, unbacked bow. But since I am the one doing the building it's gonna get backed. I have used brown paper and linen with complete success but to not completely insult the beauty of this piece would like to do something a little dressier.

Sooo lemme ask, does anyone think the thin veneers commonly used to dress up furniture offer any value, other than cosmetic? Assuming of course the bow is tillered correctly, with the  corners neatly rounded and the back burnished smooth before applying the veneer? I had the thought of a 1/16" hickory backing with the veneer over that but trying to keep it as simple as possible.

I usually shoot heavy bows but would like to end up at 53# to 57#, having finally figured out that whitetails aren't indestructible.

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do ya think....
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
Hickory backed cherry is supposed to be a great (fast) combination.  In fact, that is going to be my next bow once I get the shop cleaned up again...  

I'd skip the veneer and go with the hickory backing.  I think you will end up with a great bow.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do ya think....
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
That sounds like a plan to me. just make sure the hickory is flat for a good glue surface and go for it. I see no reason why it would not work great. God Bless you and good luck. Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©