3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: older recurves  (Read 436 times)

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
older recurves
« on: February 15, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »
I'm just wondering why the older bear bows from the 60's and 70's seem to bring such high prices and why do so many people collect them? Do they shoot as well as their newer models? How do they compare to other makers such as Howatt, Wing etc. in terms of performance. My funds are very limited and I'm thinking of trying a recurve. Any opinions on the subject would be appreciated.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: older recurves
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
Part of the collectibility is the name....Bear Archery.  Papa Bear was much loved and appreciated.  His old bows will shoot with nearly any other out there, including modern customs.  If I had my choice of the one piece Bear bows, I would take a 65 or 66 Kodiak.  They shot great and were beautiful creations.  All of the Bear bows can be great shooters in the right hands.  If you want a shooter, watch for the ones that have sight holes drilled in them; they go much cheaper and the holes don't hurt the bow in any way functionally.

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 11:31:00 AM »
Thanks for your input George. I still remember seeing Fred Bear on American Sportsman or something like that as a kid. That is my first memory of bowhunting. I'm 42 now so I'd say he made quite a lasting impression.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 11:41:00 AM »
The older Bears are good bows,  and many are collectors items, but for my money you can't beat a Howatt (Martin) Hunter, Hi Speed, etc. for a great usin' bow.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 01:39:00 PM »
Not all of the older Bears go for a lot of money.  Bear Grizzlies and Kodiak Hunters are good bows and Bear made a tons of them.  Can usually pick up one of those up for around $100-$150.  I agree that the Howatt High Speed and Howat Hunters are also very good bows.  And the Wing Red Wing and Slim Line Pro.

Offline NTXStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 01:44:00 PM »
I have a Bear Grizzly at 50# that I purchased from an internet transaction.  It shoots great!  I've killed a lot of animals with it.  Because of this reason, I have a difficult time forking out several hundered dollars for anything newer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©