Author Topic: Length of an osage bow for a 31" draw??  (Read 641 times)

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
Length of an osage bow for a 31" draw??
« on: October 30, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
A buddy of mine who is 6'5" and around 250 has a 31" draw.  What length would I want to shoot for?  I think I heard something about double the draw and add 10%.  If that is the case should I shoot for a 68" bow?  Thanks for the insight.
He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow, and concealed me in his quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Length of an osage bow for a 31" draw??
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
ive worked it around with double + 20% , but it ends up being about wingspan , which if hes 6'5 , his span is probably pretty close to that...

im new so dont take my word for fact , its just what i have found thus far...

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
When I am feeling particulary virile I can draw pretty much 31 inches (or when I am pulling 12 pounds which is the weight of the bow we used to measure my draw length a couple of weeks ago without any compression). I am shooting 66 inch recurves quite happily right now and I actually have a 62 inch one on order (that is the longest the bowyer will build). I have been fooling around the last couple of days with my 42 pounds Damon Howatt Ventura and after hunting is over (I shoot 3 fingers under with my hunting bows, see the thread "A Pair of Hunters" in History and Collecting).
I think that I will switch over to 2 fingers under (index and third finger) with a left handed tab turned upside down (I tried this because the only tabs that were handy were lefties that I use with my target bow). I seem to get a cleaner release and finger pinch is reduced by the width of one full finger.
The interesting part is that nothing about some of the usual methods of measuring draw length indicate that I would be such a long draw. One clue is that although I am just under 6 feet tall I wear a 30 inch pant leg and they still drag on the ground.

With a 31 inch draw doubled and adding 20% as suggested the bow would be 74 inches AMO which would no doubt shoot like a dream, but you would need to break it down in order to carry it around or even put it in your car.

Check on the Bob Lee website and his recommendation for over 30 inch draw is 64 inches AMO, which I think is very realistic. I have a 64 inch longbow (a 1953 Bear Polar) in the mail to me right now.
Currently I only have one takedown bow and that is my left handed Ben Pearson for which I keep hoping to find some 68 or 70 limbs. It shoots fine with the 66 inch ladies limbs, but I am sure the longer limbs would be even better. If everything goes according to plan I will have two more takedowns, one LH 62 inches and the other RH 68 inches soon. In addition my Chek-Mate Hunter III takedown, which is the other 62 incher, should be done next spring.  
Hope this helps,

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 10:32:00 PM »
I guess that I missed the obvious question and that is what does he shoot right now?

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »
I just had another brilliant idea (I get those after a long day of hunting and not enough sleep). Since you are making the bow why not be a little unconventional and make it 67 inches.

For me, whose lucky number is seven, that would be great. A 67 inch long bow that pulls 47 pounds at 30 inches (which is a more realistic draw length for me with some compression).

Damn, now I am going to have to order another bow.

DDave

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 12:35:00 AM »
He currently shoots a compound but has dabbled in longbows but always shot something over 70" and upwards of 60+ pounds.  He was wanting something 55+ pounds and whatever length for his draw.  Basically he gave me over 55 pounds and you make up the rest.
He made my mouth like a sharpened sword, in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me into a polished arrow, and concealed me in his quiver. Isaiah 49:2

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 06:43:00 AM »
A 66 inch bow would work fine for that draw a 68 inch would be a little smoother but he probably wouldn't know the difference.
T
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »
I have made several bows for long draw folk. If it is a bamboo backed bow I make them 66" NTN most of the time but if their draw is over 30" I prefer to make one 68" NTN.

The longest draws I have made osage bows for was 29" and I made them 66" NTN.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
Bit he won't draw a selfie his compund draw length. Somewhere around 70 inches ntn should do for a 31 inch draw. I made a 71-72 inch osage bow with an 8 inch handle for a friend with a 33 in. draw. Jawge

Offline Goose Gossett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 02:33:00 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies.  Now I have a few 64" staves sitting around but nothing that long.  Where would I look for longer staves or even a blank to hasten the process?  Suggestions of who to contact would be great.  

:deadhorse:   I know this opens up a proverbial can of worms but I'll ask it anyways.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »
Contact Mike Yancy at Pine Hallow, he is a sponsor here and is located in AR.  He usually has a good selection of staves.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Rich Evans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »
splice 2 staves together. i read somewhere how to check draw length was to stand back square to a wall, raise both hands in front of you and put palms together and fingers straight out. i have done this on the bows i have made for folks and it works perfect everytime. a person's height doesn't dictate that they have a long draw. I am 6'3" and have a true 28" draw. i am not saying your friend doesn't have a long draw, but i was sure shocked when i actually measured my draw.

hope that helps, and remember its just my 2 cents worth.
Rich

Offline Rich Evans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
i forgot in the last post that you are supposed to measure from the center of the chest to the tips of the outstretched fingers.  sorry
Rich

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©