Author Topic: What's a "master bowyer"  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
What's a "master bowyer"
« on: October 31, 2010, 11:24:00 PM »
I always wondered that. I've seen people with the title "master bowyer" and wondered how would one attain such status?  As far as I know there's no board, or exam , or certification.

Thoughts?
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Lee Robinson .

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's a "master bowyer"
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »
Ego combined with confidence (or sale's pitch) mostly...but I would hope competence would come with such a statement as well. Unfortunately, I have my doubts on that one since most people that use that designation titled themselves as such...for I too know of no organization that provides such a certification.
Until next time...good shooting,
Lee

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 01:25:00 AM »
Hmmmm. I will leave R.W alone.
I think that what I have seen on this site a lot of people would fit the bill.
Most on certain types of bow or styles. I mean some focus on self long bow, some lams, and the list goes on. but we see the work they do and I for one am impressed with the "Amateurs" on here.  I mean it almost overwhelms me.
I have a dream of making my own bow have attempted but not succeeded yet. But I see all the bow out there and wow. what some can do with a simple log, and others with glass and wood. All beautiful. I am still wanting to try hickory myself but man I do dream of a day when I can make a bow that has horn on the belly and sinew and skin on the back.
OOPs back to the point I just thank that there are so many types and most are masters at a few but not all.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 11:36:00 PM »
I googled it and found a write up about the origin of the english longbow, and it mentions a master bowyer could make a bow in under 2 hours.  Not too hard.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 12:20:00 AM »
maybe for a laminated bow. I don't know about a selfbow in two hours. Seems pretty difficult to me, but hey, I guess that's what makes em masters! Cool thread.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 07:04:00 AM »
I can make a bow in two hours! The quality would be questionable though!  :p  

This is a subject I've been contemplating lately. I've been reading about the mass prinicple in TBB IV and thinking if I could get this I would be closer to being a master, or mistress in my case...I guess...
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
R.W. thanks for the great laugh, thats a funny comment.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline Sal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
I think master bowyer is usually reserved for those making selfbows.  Some bowyers make superior bows, and the rest of us call them master bowyers as a recognition of their talent.  There is not secretive, dues paying, with rampant cronyism,  bowyer's organization that "gives" that title.  Its a peer given title, which makes it much more special.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
A lamiated bow takes more that 2 hours just for the epoxy to cure, so it would have to be a self bow.  I personally am not a fast bowyer, or a slow bowyer, but mearly a half fast bowyer.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
I can make a kids bow from pvc pipe in about five minutes, does that count?  :goldtooth:
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »
I would call a master bowyer someone that can build a perfect bow. Time not pertinent. Since I have never built a perfect bow. I cannot qualify. Since I have never shot a perfect bow I doubt anyone else qualifys. Thats whats so neat./ There is always room for improvement. God Bless you all and have a wonderful day. Steve

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »
Mike, your reviews on this thread alone tell me your a dang fine bowyer and that's all I need. 'Specially those bows you make for the yung'uns.   :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work and thanks for what you do!   :notworthy:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline John Cooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
Looking back in even the last 5 years or so of bow-making competitions in a popular archery magazine, I have seen the quality and creativity of bowyers reach awesome levels!  The definition of "master" keeps growing along with the skill shown and shared on sites such as these.

~John

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
I think it is a title that has been bestowed on bowyers with years in the business by a satisfied customer base..  If you can make a living at it for several years, got to be doing something right.  Now if the bowyer chooses to give himself the title of master bowyer, well that is different matter all together.  That's just my take.

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
What Sal said, peer given title in recognition of years of crafting knowing all the tricks of the trade, not bestowed upon ones self......

my take, (I aint there... )

Mike
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline Curt Brisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
I've been a bowyer for 20 yrs, made over 750 bows.  There are a couple of bowyers out there that when I pick up one of their bows, there's magic to it.  The beauty takes your breath away.  The craftsmanship of the details, the creativity of materials they used. Of course, it needs to shoot well too :>)
Its okay to be self named master, if your work is in this catergory.  Don't get hung up on if there is a paper to say they are master, you see it in what they make.
Build a kid a bow

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »
Yeah, wasn't asking because I want to be one or anything.  I get my satisfaction from customers that are happy, especially kids.  

-Mike
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
A master bowyer is a guy who can throw a bow the furthest when he messes up!!!!!
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 12:04:00 AM »
LMAO Red Tail...

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
Without any certification like the trades have, it is realy hard to define.
 I would expect that a "MASTER" of the "Bowyers Craft" would be highly skilled and competent in the "design" and building of "all" types of bows , as well as repairing, and altering of all types, not just 1 type.
 He would also be a Teacher of his craft, and would oversee a number of bowyers that are learning his skills, much like the recognised trades do.

What we mostly have now are "Aprentice" level and "Journeyman" Bowyers.

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©