Author Topic: What's a "master bowyer"  (Read 1491 times)

Offline dcmeckel

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's a "master bowyer"
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2010, 08:21:00 AM »
I have been to the shop of Hornes Archery,and to watch Mark glide around his shop is nearly like a Maestro to an orchestra.He is a great craftsman and quite the designer also.
While I havn't been to Norm Johnsons shop,I have owned,and have shot many of his bows.His advertisement reads Craftsmanship Beyond Compare.
He can and does back it up.If I were in a room of "Bowyers",I would point a finger at these two as being Master Bowyers.I havn't met every bowyer,but I would think Mark And Norm are as close to "Master"as we have.MHO

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
Every now and then I get to hold a bow that instantly says" the guy who made this is an artist in wood". These guys are the master bowyers to me.

These guys just have an eye for detail. It doesn't matter if they have made 10 bows or 100 their craftsmanship stands out.

Jamie Boyd in Alabama is one such bowyer, not made a bunch of bows but his first was a work of art and they have only gotten better.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
Bowbuilding is such an evolving art form that I am not sure that there is a true master at the present time. Most of us are in the evolutionary stage or being left in the dust of those that do evolve. God Bless you all and have a wonderful evening. Steve

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 01:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by jess stuart:
I think it is a title that has been bestowed on bowyers with years in the business by a satisfied customer base..    
I think it's pretty much bestowed upon themselves.  :biglaugh:
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
Pete W
 I think you are on to something there. I don't think any one person can master them all just too many styles. The teaching and mentoring others of their style and even understand enough to help us unfortunate others get bows built outside of their area so to speak.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
The term, I believe had its origins from the Medieval Guild system particularly in England. Those wanting to learn how to make the English longbow would study with a master bowyer. I've met a few master bowyers from the US...Dean Torges, Bob Holzhauser, Steve Gardener and Tim Baker. Two out of those 4 sold bows but selling bows is not the over riding factor these days.  I've had contact with many others through email. But I won't name those for obvious reasons. LOL.  :)   Jawge

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 11:45:00 PM »
It's been a little over two years since I asked the question,  and the replies that have made the most sense are (of Course) George "Jawge" Tsoukalas' and (Of course) Red Tail hawk's, explainatiopn of the one that can throw the bow the furthest when he messes up.  (I've pitch a fit or two but I'm sure they didn't go very far when I threw them)

And Jawge, I must mention this, back in 2000, I read your entire page several times, then made my first selfbow, and it was a shooter, even though it was made from "undersired" materials.  So I suppose, since I studied, your writtings, that made you my master.  (even though I went to the "dark side" and am now dabling in laminated ones. just kidding) I can still make a good self bow and still do it from time to time.

I also agree on what Sixby said about perfection .
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 11:55:00 PM »
Mike, I am a Master Bowyer. Well I thought I was until tonight. Not sure if it was the beer or the Osage, or the Boo. Things were not going right at all tonight in the shop with a BBO on a long but tight string. Darn string kept sliding off to one side when I tried to string it with a long but tight string. Off one side, then off the other side, so I'd take wood off the strong side, right?. So I said hell with it and stung her up to a 5 inch brace height. Damn string then ran smack dab down the center, tip to tip. I give up. Gonna have a nutter beer and mess with guys on here:)   :laughing:

Offline Black Mockingbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2013, 07:48:00 AM »
Dang Roy...sounds like ya need to put that fruity pebbles beer down buddy  ;)

Offline J.F. Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2013, 07:57:00 AM »
Mike, call Tom Turgeon. he is self-proclaimed master bowyer. I'm sure he can explain what the title means.

seriously, there is no such thing in this day and age. "master bowyer" is nothing more than a loosely used term to describe the most talented and experienced bowyers among us
"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »
it is a carry forward of a time when craftsmen were found in every niche and they had apprentices and such working under them to learn the craft/trade.  There was talk a decade or two ago about trying to start a bowyers guild and allow apprencticeships and such....but one concern is who would decide the requirements....and is it on experience, age, number of bows built per year or some other goal?  Nobody had an answer from what I remember....

There are some bowyers of both self and glass backed bows that I would consider at the top of their game and worthy to spend time with learning and observing as a budding novice bowyer.  It is more than making pretty bows...it is about craftsmanship, style, reliability, quality, and also willingness to share with those interested in truly learning this craft.

Master bladesmiths do not all make perfect knives but they have "mastered" forging, tempering, design, build and artistic aspects of their craft...they understand in great detail how slight changes in metal composition, temp of fires, quenching in water or oil and other factors effect looks, durability, ability to take an edge and hold it, etc.

The term was also used in the Golden Age of archery to describe the senior bowyer at a company.....someone that designed bows and built them but also oversaw the training of others working under them to do the same.

I only get upset when somoene that has just entered the field uses it and is in it for a quick buck or to take advantage of the general public.  If it is someone that I know has been around the block a few times, has consistently built quality bows of unquestionable beauty and is a true "master" of his passion with traditional archery.....then I think it is well deserved.  Though I have yet to hear any of them call themselves that...usually it is labeled on them from someone else....as it should be.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
to me a master bowyer is someone who can make a living wage building bows---good luck!!!
Mike

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
Mike that would be a master salesman rather. There are many "master" bowyers who never sell a bow.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2013, 10:15:00 AM »
If someone tells you they are a master bowyer they probably are not! Their actions and the results can tell you if he(or she) is a master bowyer but self proclaimation doesn't do it for me.
  I've been building selfbows and wood bows for the better part of 30 years and still haven't made it to master and never will. Most of my bows will do what they were intended to do, some are beautiful but none are masterful and again will never be. They don't need to be and neither do I.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline petalumapete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
Isn't that something similar to a gut that puts bait on hooks?   :bigsmyl:
Big Foot Sasquatch Recurve
64" 57#@ 27.5
Big Foot Flat Liner Long Bow
64" 49#@

Offline petalumapete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
Sorry just couldn't help it
Big Foot Sasquatch Recurve
64" 57#@ 27.5
Big Foot Flat Liner Long Bow
64" 49#@

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2013, 11:22:00 AM »
Last night, I was going through some threads I started and found this one and re opened it to see what the replies were, and Like I suspected, there are as many diverse replies and explainations as there are personalities.  I enojoyed reading everyone's replies.  
I figured I'd ask it here on the Bowyer's bench since that's what all of us do, and if you all are like myself, you try to make the next one better than the last.  

I think a master bowyer can look at the bow when it's done, and find no room for improvement.

For me that's one thing I haven't been able to do.

It seems, when I finish a bow, I find something I want to do better next time.  Usually small things, usually things that the person that gets the bow will never notice unless I point it out to him/her.  

That is my one lofty, and virtually unreachable goal, to look at, and shoot, my creation, and realize it's flawless.  

They say that in business, you can't succeed unless you set attainable goals. On that note I'm just thankful bowyering isn't simply business, rather an art.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »
I think the boyers from back in the 50's-60's and 70's that designed the great bows of that era for the companies like Bear,Pearson and Martin, just to mention a few were Master Boyers. They set the bar so high without much input from their fore-runners that the last 60 yrs have not produced much improvment in performance.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline So-Mo Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »
I have to agree with Jess' take on the matter. A bowyer that is in the craft for a living, and makes a living for any period of time must be doing something right. "Master bowyer" should be an honorific title given by many satisfied customers and by recognition of one's peers. To call yourself a master anything, without having a legitimate basis for the title, is egotistical crap!
Matt

Ben Pearson Rogue, 55 @ 28
SoMo Red Warrior, 47 @ 28
Compton's
NCBA
NCWRC Hunters Ed Instructor
"The shortest answer is to do the thing!" - Ernest Hemingway

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »
Somewhere I read (not official) that a master bowyer is someone who has made a living full time at building and selling bow for 10 years or more. I dont remember where I read it though.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©