Author Topic: Glue  (Read 317 times)

Offline Chris Grimbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
Glue
« on: November 01, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »
What do you guys think is the best glue *considering water resistance* I can buy at lowes for a horn to wood bond?
Chris

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Glue
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
I use superglue for my antler to wood combos. I've had two part epoxy fail as well as titebond 2 and 3. I'm not saying they won't work... I'm just saying I like superglue.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
I use superglue for my antler to wood combos. I've had two part epoxy fail as well as titebond 2 and 3. I'm not saying they won't work... I'm just saying I like superglue.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
I had some troubles glueing phenol and wood with epoxy. Now I use superglue for phenol and antler and never had any problems since then. And on top of that you don't have to let it cure for many hours.

----------
Andy

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
To be exact use Gorilla Super glue. It has rubber added to make it shock proof. I have never lost an overlay or a nock using it.

Offline Chris Grimbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »
Do you guys think regular gorilla glue would work for horn to wood if applied correctly? The gorilla super glue just seems a lil expensive for almost 7 dollars for that tiny tiny bottle. I know most people talk down on gorilla glue... I used to but I used it for a axe handle repair one time (correctly). I was always forgetting to wet it first... and it worked great.
Chris

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
I use the cheap stuff and have never had an issue. You ccan find it for about 25cents a tube.

Offline rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
If you are gluing horn to the belly I would use smooth on.
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »
I'm assuming your talking about horn-to-wood in the context of a composite bow?  For sure, don't use Gorilla glue...it expands and is NOT suited to highly stressed bow joints.  Use Smooth-on, Urac, or similar.  Titebond III would be the only adhesive available at said stores that I would use, but you need to a have perfectly flat and smooth mating surfaces to ensure a proper bond with it. Just my $0.02
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 11:50:00 PM »
Probably the best glue for a horn composite bow would be a good quality hide glue.
  For horn, antler, wood and leather tip overlays I have used TBII and TBIII, gell super glue(the cheap stuff) and 2ton epoxy, all with good results. If you are using antler with a pithy center you may want to "prep" it with super glue first before gluing it with non-gap filling glues.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Chris Grimbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
So you think tb3 will work? I have a bunch of it. Do I need to roughen the surface so it can grip better or make it smoother?
Chris

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 02:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pat B:
Probably the best glue for a horn composite bow would be a good quality hide glue.

Hide glue doesn't play well with water though does it?

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 04:04:00 PM »
If sealed properly it will. Jay Massey used sinew backed bows to hunt Alaska and actually dropped on in the river when his boat capsised. He recovered it the next day, no worse for the wear.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©