3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Single Bevel Broadhead RELEASED!!  (Read 524 times)

Offline 3R Shooter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Single Bevel Broadhead RELEASED!!
« on: February 15, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »
Zwickey Archery has done it again.  The demand for a LW bevel broadhead has been answered.

Improving on the "No Mercy" broadhead, Zwickey Archery now offers the broadhead in BOTH Left Wing bevel and Right Wing bevel.

Match your broadhead to your arrows and get Maximum Penetration and the Highest Performance.

Available only at 3Rivers Archery, this is THE broadhead every 2-blade Bowhunter could ever want.

See it Here:
 http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=57&s=42&p=119&i=4217X
I work for 3Rivers Archery as the President.
 www.3RiversArchery.com

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Single Bevel Broadhead RELEASED!!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 02:07:00 PM »
Excellent introduction by Zwickey!   :thumbsup:  

As soon as I heard about these I knew they'd have to be one of the new heads I'll be giving a workout this coming season.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Eric B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »
Lets sit back and see what developes...

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 07:33:00 PM »
It's great they came out with a single bevel,But $15.00 for 3 is kinda steep???
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 08:32:00 PM »
I don't get it.  Since it is still a triple thickness blade, at least toward the tip, it will not be a true single bevel because the front 1/3 or whatever will be a double bevel, a lopsided double bevel, but a double bevel just the same.

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
Orion, I would not be surprised to learn that a biased bevel configurationworks as well as a single bevel(of course double bevels have been and will continue to work anyway) but you are correct. I "single beveled" a beat up Zwickey Eskimo this afternoon. It came out quite nicely-now an inch wide and 120 grains. It is technically a biased dbl bevel transitioning into a singlebevel but looking at it from the front the opposed single bevel effect is notable and striking.

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
I applaud Jack Zwickey for offering this configuration.  These heads will prove themselves in the field.  As far as the weight goes, there are brass and steel inserts for carbons and I've added lead inside of taper ferrule heads for years when I wanted more weight up front.  

Old school traditionalists are ok with doing a little extra work to modify existing products to get them just the way they want them.  A tanto tip for instance?  It won't take long to modify a No-Mercy tip to a more tanto configuration.

I say congratulations Jack for answering the call for a factory ground broadhead in single bevel and both right and left wing.

todd smith
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 11:36:00 PM »
Jerry, you can feather the tip into a very nice single bevel.  I am holding one right now (Magnus that I reground)  It can be made into a single bevel, just not exactly perfect like the Grizzly.  Since the blade continually gets wider, that slight feathered area should make no real difference, I think.   Course..I don't know if that is what Zwickey did or not.

Whether or not any of it matters at all is up to each individual.  I already have enough No Mercy heads (the two bevel kind) that I really won't be needing any more for a while...not to mention all the other heads I have laying around.  

I actually wonder why there is not a rush on right wing feathers so that they can just use the Grizzly heads as they are ?
ChuckC

Offline Nor'easter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 01:01:00 AM »
They'll be a hit on the market. I'm going to give them a try, since I'm looking for a 2 blade anyway.  130 grs. is a good weight. With steel inserts of 75,100, or 125 grs., that gets you a pretty heavy head.
Thought about the Grizzly but then I'd have to buy 5 new clamps for my jigs.
60" Border Ultra hexIV 58@28
60" Border Ultra hexV 53@28
58" Robertson FatalStyk 52@28

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 09:16:00 AM »
'Bout time, thanx Zwickey.      :thumbsup:    

It sure looks like the lefties are just ground on one side - why would the tip hafta be double ground?  Anyone done a hand's-on yet?

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
:thumbsup:  Kudos to Zwickey and 3 Rivers   :thumbsup:  

Now will you please sell them presharpened cause I've spent hours and hours on the Grizzly head and can't get it sharp enough for me.  Help!
The Lord is my Shepherd

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 11:56:00 AM »
Rob:  According to the pix you supply, the tips aren't double ground.  What that means is that the right side tip of the left wing bevel pictured is dull at the tip, because the third thickness of steel on the back side of the bevel isn't sharpened. Of course this happens on the back side of each bevel so in effect, the first third, or 20% or whatever it is of the broadhead isn't sharp. Might you have a pix of the tip of the blade from the cutting edge?  I believe that would show it.

Offline flatbowMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »
It's diappointing to see that that these are nothing more than regular zwickeys that have been ground on one side. Nothing was done to modify them to properly accomodate a single bevel, which would have been a simple matter of extending the ferrule flange on each unbevelled side all the way to edge of the blade.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
The only reason the ferrule flange runs so far out on the Grizzly is due to it being a double laminated head instead of triple like many others, including the Zwickey.  So the ferrule is larger for both strength and to help the heads make weight.

The trailing edge on the Grizzly is still a single piece of steel, like the Zwickeys above.  It's also usually the first part of the Grizzly to get  really sharp, not a bad thing!
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©