Author Topic: bamboo and glass???  (Read 265 times)

Offline Loren Holland

• Trad Bowhunter
bamboo and glass???
« on: November 09, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
I made a 68" form for a fairly aggressive r/d. I sandwiched a zebra riser between two bamboo slats for a core, using URAC 185.  The intent was to see if there was any adjustment that needed to be made (i really thought it would be heavier, and need a bit of tillering)and then go back and glue on raw bamboo backing and belly.  I have never done this before so I am totally guessing at all dimensions and thickness.  The width is just under 2" at the widest point and tapers to about 3/4" tips ( i went a little wide for stability, like a recurve for stringing, since the r/d was aggressive). The two lams are a little under 1/4" each. I didn't know what to expect and was really surprised at how well the the two bamboo slats hold the forms shape. I was surprised at how evenly the limbs bend in there present configuration, yet they pull about 10-12 lbs.

I don't know what to do next.  I was originally going to make an all bamboo, but am concerned that i will end up with a light poundage bow. Does anyone have a good guess how much poundage i will gain with a raw boo back and belly?

I thought about just glueing on glass, since you can cure URAC without baking it.

Then I thought that I really want the look of all bamboo.  So here is the question I haven't seen on this site yet. What would happen if glued up glass over the boo core, and then raw boo over that?  It would give the look of all boo. I am sure it would be a monster pull, right? (or would it, would the glass just overpower the boo? would it delam? just don't know if its worth the expreiment.)  Has anyone done this?

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bamboo and glass???
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »
Haven't done what you're trying,but the first question that comes to mind is why do it this way?   I take it the aim is to have the look of all bamboo?   Why not just use clear glass over bamboo cores.   Comes off looking fine if you like bamboo.. the nodes show.   Hill Archery does this regularly for those who want it.

It also strikes me that glass in the middle as you describe is problematic.  You'll have to sand/rough the smooth side to get a grip.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline vanillabear?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
If you use 2-.250 bamboo lams for a total of .500 then add a .125 natural Bamboo backing strips to the belly and back for a total of .250, Your limb thickness would be .750 and with a 2" wide limb you are talking tonage. With no taper in the limbs this bow should pull between 70-80 lb if not more. I would be very interested in how it turns out...........James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Loren Holland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
glued up the backing last night, cleaned up the glue boogers and sanded a bit before work.  when i pulled it off the form, it went from a 10lb bow to not even bending. wow. i sanded the belly to get it floor tillered and started rounding the belly edges a bit, feels like 55-60. can't wait to go home and work on it some more.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©