Author Topic: power tools  (Read 401 times)

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
power tools
« on: November 13, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
if i have a spindal sander would i realy need to have a belt sander i'm not realy planing on makeing my own lams or any thing like that but i think i would use the spindal more than a belt what do you think

Offline SourOwl

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: power tools
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
nope - - had one, thought the same thing, had to have it, and I just almost never used it.  I use my 12" disc sander, inflatable bladder sander and 36" belt sander.  Finally gave the spindle sander to a friend, and he never uses it either.
SourOwl

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
so a belt sander disc combo maybe and  drill press is all i realy need that works i guess it some where to start thanks

Offline SourOwl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
Yep - - one thing about the belt/disc combo that I discovered;  if the disc part is mounted on the side of the belt part and sticks up higher'n the belt surface, that seemed to get in my way while using the belt.  I found one that had the disc part lower than the sanding surface of the belt, and I could use the whole belt surface better. Just MHO.     Mike
SourOwl

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 12:59:00 AM »
This is the sander I have -    Rigid  

Around $200 when I got it and it has been great.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 05:16:00 AM »
AK...........I have the same rigid sander and it is the best tool I have besides my planer.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline BoWyo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 07:43:00 PM »
A spindle sander is a handy tool.
If you have a collar on the base and make a template to attach to your rough stock you can make duplicates of risers, assuming your building laminated bows.
I think It's best to have dedicated tools/ Belt, disk,spindle, etc- if you can afford it.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
I too have a belt sander, but unlike some of the guys I don't really use it that much, use the spindle sander much more.  It is nice to have both though.

Offline Davesea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »
Here is another option if you have a table saw

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001809/2839/Sanding-Disc-10.aspx
"Anyone can make a bow, but it takes skill and experience to make an arrow"  ISHI

Offline Pennsyltuckey pete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
I have and use the rigid also.  Must admit it is the most used power tool in my shop next to my Band saw.  OK maybe more.  You can make your own lams with the rigid, it is way easier to smooth the sides of bows with the belt attachment. I love the thing. Since I got it I have not used my belt sander for anything other than extremely aggressive tillering on self bows.

pete
Love one woman, Many Bows

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©