Author Topic: Refinishing question  (Read 317 times)

Offline Johnny Reb

• Trad Bowhunter
Refinishing question
« on: November 15, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
I spoke with a gent today that had a bow he wanted refinished, he dont know at this time if he wants to do it himself or pay some one who does this kinda thing.

I told him I would ask to see what it would cost to have it done, if anyone has a idea of the cost (maybe you've had one done) or you do this type of work would you please give me a ball park figure as to the cost.

Thanx in advance.
It's a twang thang,some people git it, some people dont.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Refinishing question
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
I'm not a bowyer, but did work professionally as a cabinetmaker and have done many gunstocks.  I'm currently in the process of refinishing an old Ben Pearson Colt.

So far, I have two hours in and am midway through the finish coat of the riser.  And I am developing a huge respect for those that get a smooth satin finish with a urethane product!  It's like corn syrup.  I have refinished wood with gloss spar varnish and it was loads easier.  I have sanded it back down twice (avoiding the original inked markings except for very delicate 0000 wool smoothing) and have resorted to wiping a much thinned coat on with cotton pads.  It's finally going my way and will likely take six or seven such thin wipings on top of the "lost" two brushed coats.  At least the grain was well filled by these.

I must say a hand-rubbed oil finish is cake compared to this.  I did resort to boiled linseed oil on the limbs and it blended in the small scratches very well.  Would it satisfy a paying customer?  Probably not.

I'd figure if I were to charge for just the riser work it would have to be $75 to $80.  If you have the ability to spray and were to do a two-part finish of the whole bow probably about the same. That doesn't include replacing the rest or arrow plate.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Johnny Reb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »
I told him that I had redone one of my own (hold that thought)and I would do it for free if he would buy the materials but he want to keen on that idea since we dont know one another, we've only talked via phone.

I redone a old grizzly for my self a couple years ago,it was in ruff shape to say the least when I got it so I figured it would be something good to learn on.
 I sanded it down just enuff to remove the old finish and smooth out some bad places but easy on the limbs (was afraid agressive sanding mite heat and warp the limbs), and applied sevral coats of minwax (satin finish, didnt want a shiny bow) polyurathane from spray can, with a light sanding between coats.

After a new ste of beaver balls, string, and shelf material it looks real good, a bit time consuming but well worth th etrouble.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
I do my own, but I know two of the most well known bow refinishers get 100-200 depending on how bad it is.
David M. Conroy

Offline Johnny Reb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
Consider'n what I've said about my approach to the sand'n part of the refurb does it sound acceptable to you gents ?

Just curious in case thers something I need to learn here, I dont like the thoughts of do'n less than desirable work, even if it is on my bow.

But as far as the "spray can finish" my brush;n skills arent the best so I fugured the spray can mite make for a better look'n finish, maybe a very good quality brush mite be in order.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
Get some Krylon Crystal and spray the bow, put on 4 coats, you won't be disapointed.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
Saw a guy on the big auction site who was selling a refinishing service, started at $60 and then if it needed extra work the price would be discussed.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©