Author Topic: Building a new riser  (Read 324 times)

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
Building a new riser
« on: November 15, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
Hey Guys, I have a Quinn Stallion Recurve that I like but would change a few things on it.  I have found (esp. this time of year) that the metal riser gets very cold and I don't like the high wrist grip on it.  I'm kicking around the idea of building a wood riser to replace the metal one and using the limbs I already have.  It seems that if I make the riser to roughly the same size and have the same angle on the limb pockets, it should work.  If you guys have experience in this sort of thing, please give advice.  Also, where can I find limb bolts/inserts/pins for the new riser?  Thanks.

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Building a new riser
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
Also, I have some ash that I would like to laminate for the riser.  Can I use a wood glue like Titebond for the wood and am I right in  assuming that one would use an epoxy for the pins and inserts for the limb pockets?

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »
Insert, bolts, pins etc are available from Bingham Projects.  I would use smooth on epoxy on the riser if it were me, not saying that titebond is bad or won't work. I have no experience with it but have had great results with smooth on.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 07:57:00 AM »
I agree with Jess, smooth-on and Bingham has everything you will need, great folks to do business with. Keep the new riser the same length and the limb angle the same and you will be fine. Do not modify the limbs.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
Hey Doug,

I could maybe save you some time.  I have a R hand riser I no longer use.  Maybe you can customize it to work.  Already has bolts and pins in it.  Here are some pics:

Good luck with your project!

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
Jeremy,  That looks like a nice riser, but I think I want to have an even lower wrist grip (less of a pistol grip somewhere between your riser's profile and a classic longbow grip).  Sounds like Bingham is where I need to go.  Thanks guys.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »
Good luck and have fun with your project Doug.  Make sure to post pics when finished!

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©