Author Topic: My 2nd attempt and it is going to be a challenge!  (Read 1622 times)

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: My 2nd attempt and it is going to be a challenge!
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
Kelly, it is now time to shorten up your string. The long string will give you a false reading after the tips have moved 6" to 8". Make a string and low brace the bow at about 4". This way you can see if both limbs are bending evenly and together and see if the string is tracking down the center of the bow.  DO NOT pull that bow any farther on the long string.
  You are doing a great job so far. Hopefully the wood will reward you for your good work! d;^)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2010, 04:36:00 PM »
^^yep.

you could also take a couple strands of 550 guts and twist em into a flemish string. I'd go with 4 strands , twisted into two, then together into your string.

if you're using 550 , iirc each internal strand is 27# , so looks like that little bow got some guts!

also, you might be able to salvage some leaf springs off of downed vehicles. this can be made into a decent drawknife for ya.

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
Thanks Pat B and Hova,
Todays mission shorten string. As far as a draw knif I may be able to come up with one or something similiar if I need it. For this little guy the knife is working well as a scraper

Offline Rattus58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
You all still use bayonetes in your craft? I've seen a cane knife used with a handle on both sides used as a sort of draw knife to finish up hoe handles out of 2X2's in the field... unfortuantely that was 50 years ago so don't have the details of the "how" the handle part was fashioned but it slipped over the blade end of the cane knife... but it seemed to work...

Aloha...  :archer2:

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
Ok no wood removed a paper work day, I did shorten the string this is the shortest I could get it and get the string on. It's smaller size does not make it easy. I is braced only about 1/4".  Pat B is this enough or do I need to get the tips more flexed  so  yall can see.  Here are the Pics.
Close up

I did put it on the scale with this new string and put it on the scale I only got it to about 17lbs. I still can get about 10" pull out of it.
Thanks,
Kelly

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
Kelly, that will work fine. As long as the string is off the bow so you can see if the string lines up down the bow. It will act like a regularly braced bow with the string like you have it. It is the angle of the string at the tips and the direction of pull that causes the problem. With a long string the string pulls more down instead of inward like a braced bow pulls.
   She's looking pretty good so far, Kelly. How does the string track?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
Pat it tracks of to one side. about a 1/4 for the edge. I believe this is for 2 reasons.
1) the wood was bent that way
2) the little bit of limb twist in it.
I am not too worried about the string not being centered. From what I have read and seen on here that is not as big and issue. as long as I make the rest on the side the string is closest too. I will get some PICs of the string tracking and of any progress  I make tomorrow. I now have three strands of the 550 cord gut and the string stretch is down.  I know this because I don't as much pull as I was getting. It feels better or more solid with the 3 strands also.
Thanks Pat B,
Kelly

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
Kelly, check the thickness of each limb from side to side. If one side it thicker than the other it will pull the limb over. You can also use this to correct twisted or bent limbs by making one side thicker than the other.
  On this little bow I wouldn't worry about it.This was mainly an experiment to see if this wood will actually survive as a bow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2010, 12:14:00 AM »
you could also try cuttibg the opposing side nock a little deeper, or maybe just djust your string a bit

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2010, 05:34:00 AM »
Ok I made a real gizmo found a nut, strung it up and put it on my tree; exercised the limbs a few times by pulling back a little and riding forward.  I did this a few time and went to pull it all the way to 9" and took my eye off of it and .......................................................................

I pulled a little too hard. It is ok cause now I get to try again. I think I will see what the stave offers. If it gives me a 6'x3" piece I will try for a 40lb bow if not then we will see just what the wood wants to be. Since I can't hunt deer I am hunting for the bow, round one bow.
To me this is like the feeling you get when the deer is out front you and you have your bow drawn and you are waiting for just the right moment and next thing you know the white tail is all you see. I am just happy to have been in the stand to begin with.  I will be back in the preverbal woods again and soon.
Thanks all for input and advice,
Kelly

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
Keep at it and stay safe. Come home soon and thank you!
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
Thanks highpoint

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
KellyG, you have a great attitude and your son is certainly lucky. Keep trying I'm lovin' reading along on this thread.
Man, my nephew just got back from over there a few weeks ago, now make sure you get home. And thank you. Thanks for the posts and especially for your service.
Stan

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2010, 10:35:00 PM »
I'm thinking cedar would be best backed with something. Is there anyway to get any rawhide there? If not maybe I could send you some.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »
Thanks red hill

b,
I have not tried to look for rawhide. I have seen them slaughter sheep, goats and cows on city streets when I was in Mosul (talk about fresh meat). I have seen the sheep skins in shops but have not really looked or asked about rawhide, I may now. Glue for rawhide I think maybe a problem here. I was going to try and back it with brown paper, I did have a roll over here somewhere. I just got to remember where I put it.
I am going home for R&R soon and am planning on packing and mailing me some titebond III, spoke shave, file and string wax. I need to order some B50 though; I have been using 550 cord guts and some how don't think that will make a very long lasting string.

Thanks again both of you,
Kelly

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
I use artificial sinew.. 400yards for 10$.

I have a black & white 4 strandx2 flemish , and a natural colored 5x2strand flemish , with a figure  * knot I believe ...

flemish are so easy to make.you get another bow going , let me know your overall length , ill whip a fat long string for ya. I used mine to tiller , then cut the excess off and its been great.

-hov

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
Thanks Hova, I will let you know. If I ever get one too stay to gather.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
Sorry to see about your bow Kelly.  But, like you said, you get to try another one.  Hope your R&R is relaxing.

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline H8nonCubs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
Good luck in round two. Curious to see what you can do with that cedar!
"I never make the same mistake twice, i make it three or four times. You know just to make sure."

Offline Loren Holland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
sorry about the bow Top. better luck on round two, ofcourse you have the right attitude about the whole process and that helps. I used to get so upset about breaking anything (in truth i still do sometimes) but there is so much to learn from every part of making a bow. even the breaking one part teaches you something.
PM me your APO (or use AKO, i am loren.holland), we're gonna have to do something about you working with a multi-tool.
best of luck brother,
CPT H

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©