Author Topic: Christmas - 5 bow build along.. Dare you to keep up...LOL  (Read 3400 times)

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Christmas - 5 bow build along.. Dare you to keep up...LOL
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
Thanks everyone!  I did not get much done last night.. just to damn cold here.  All I did was get the extra material on the tips sanded down then my toes got cold.

I need to pick up a heater for the shed today.
God gave you hands, use them

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2010, 07:47:00 PM »
This is cool to watch!
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
Okay.. Got some more done this Holiday weekend.

First off for bow #1...

Was working a way on it...

Got the tips roughed in

Was sanding a way on the handle.. decided, it was time to shoot it.  Stung it up and, wait a minute.. I can't get the arrow in.  Why is there a wall in my way....????

Son of a B*(&^..... I made a left handed bow.. I can not believe it.  I was having so much fun doing everything, I did not even realize I cut the window on the wrong side...  I forgot to reverse my new pattern.  All my old patterns say which way is up, but because this is a whole new bow.. forgot to think about it.

Hopefully that will help.. UNREAL.  Of all the stupid things to do.  Well.. here is the pics of the bad boy as I am putting up on a shelf for now.  I will finish it up.. maybe sell it or find someone that is left handed.  It pulls 30lbs at 28".. shoots good.. as far as I can tell.. hard to shoot a left handed bow with a right hand.

What a bummer.. she was turning into a beut!

On to Bow #2..

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
sorry to hear that. It's still a cool bow and I bet if you tried hard enough you could find a child that could use it.
looking forward to more. Good stuff.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
So I set up my home made lam grinder again and made my tappers.  Here is a few pics..

So I bought a tapered lam from Binghams.. and made another one from it.  Then use that as my template.  I put my normal lam.. this one I ground down to .065.. the set it on top of my template.. adjust the grinder and slide it thru..
Now I have a tapered lam to throw into this thing.

I get everything together.. set up the form.. and clean everything again with Acetone.

I put some seran wrap on the form..

Then I tape up the smooth side of the fiberglass.  This time I am trying two layers.. see if that helps during removal.

Mix up some EA40 smooth on and away we go..

I get the long fiberglass and long lam glued up and throw it on the form.. the put some epoxy on the riser... put it in the form and C clamp it down.  Then epoxy the short lams.. one side at a time..

I use rubber bands just to hold it all into place, then use the inner tubes as a final to get the sinch on it.

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »

Throw the unit in the oven and wait 5 or 6 hours.. my oven gets to about 150 degrees.. so I let it sit in there a bit longer than 4 hours.

tick..tock.. tick .. tock.

Actually I did this first this morning then while this one was in the oven, I was working on bow one when I found it as a left handed bow...UHGGG.

So pulled it out.. the double tap did help.. was a bit easier getting all of it off.

This bow is for my only daughter.. We have 4 boys and one girl.. so the purple heart, white glass and I am going to stain the maple pink.. should look really good.

So tomorrow I will tape up the fiberglass to help protect it again and start the shaping.

This time will cut the window on the right side..LOL

Learn from my mistakes.. mark everything and double check all before you cut!

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
Looking good

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2010, 03:28:00 AM »
Great build along and don't worry to much about the 'lefty' you made. I guess we all had those moments where we wanted to slap ourself in the face...

----------
Andy

Offline stickbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2010, 01:37:00 PM »
this is a great Thread.....thanks

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2010, 02:40:00 PM »
Thanks for the complements everyone... just my way of giving back to everyone on here that gave to me.  

Reading these build alongs is how I learned to build bows.. I did not buy a kit or books.  Just read up and emailed a few people.

So I am hoping that I can help some others out there get into it.  Lot's of fun.

Will be getting off of work soon and can't wait to work on the bow some more later today.

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2010, 02:18:00 AM »
Okay.. got home from work and started heating up the shed.

Meanwhile in the bat cave.....

I put another layer of tape on the fiberglass.. want to protect that glass as much as possible plus be able to draw on it.

I throw the laser on it again.  You can do this with a string as well, but really like the 5 dollar laser from harbor freight.. a string can still get manipulated.. light can not..

oooooo.. ahhhhhh.. laser light show..

Now this is a very important step.  If your form is just a hair off.. or you sand down a bit more limb while getting the excess epoxy off.. this is where you can fix it.  So I mark my center line with the laser light.. then trace my patterns..

As you can see, I have one limb twisted just a bit.  But because I see this now, I can cut it accordingly and all will be right with the world.

My form has issues.  I am going to build another form out of MDF this week.  The all oak form was not 100% dry yet.. it keeps twisting after the heat box.

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2010, 02:26:00 AM »
Now off to the shed to sand and cut.

First I do the limbs.  I cut a little off with the 9" bandsaw that has the used blade then use the belt sander to go the rest of the way.

Then I swap blades in the 12" band saw and use the fiberglass blade (AKA - the dull blade) the cut out the window and shapes

YES... the window is on the right side this time.. how dare you ask...LOL

Then I use my portable bandsaw to cut the rest of the window out.  First time I tried this.. worked great!

Here it is with all the rough cuts.

Then I take it back to the belt sander and smooth some of that all out.  Then I cut up my nock pieces and a thin strip of purple heart for the face.  Throw some epoxy on it.. clamp it and throw it under the fire place for the night.

So for tomorrow.. do some nock work and sting her up for the first time.. then sand, sand sand.

Here I got my pup to play dead by the bows..hehe

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
Looking good. And I would never insult you and ask if you cut it the wrong way or for me the right way.    :cool:  
What a bear dog you got there.    :scared:  
OOOh its beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

Offline Pennsyltuckey pete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2010, 08:04:00 PM »
Bradford,

I have heard of problems with MDF when used for forms.  MDF apparently cant take the heat.  IT was a hose style form so you may be ok. I would just hate to see a problem creep up on you and have not said anything.

Sorry about the dead dog.     :D  
pete
Love one woman, Many Bows

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
Yeah.. I have heard of that as well Pete.. but I have been using an MDF form for my take down limbs using an air hose and have had no problems.  I wonder if the problems arise from the form not being put together well.  I glue and screw the snot out of it.  But thanks for the heads up bud!

Yeah.. the dog was not so sorry.. was a chance to be in front of the fire and close to "dad".. so he was happy!

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
Okay.. got a little done today.. was a family day.

Worked on the tips and general shaping.

Here is the tip after glue up...

After belt sander...

Then I read somewhere of this trick.  I put the string up on it as straight as I can see it.. then make my initial grove..

I use a hand file to start the groove then use my dremel with a chain saw sharpener bit..

I find that I have more control over the hand file for the initial set up.. then once a small grove is there I use the mighty power of the dremel to speed things up.

Then I put the string in the first grove and bend it down.. make sure that the string is centered in the back and mark my lines..

Then rough sanded into shape..

Tips take so long.. but a needed.  I like the odd shapes.. helps give a zing to it in my opinion.

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
Then for shaping.  I start making my window/side groves with the dremel tool.. I mark my lines where the hand (fingers) will land.  Then make a small grove with a drum sanding bit on the dremel to get a "trench" going.

I just keep working the "trench" deeper and wider and keep going.

Then I bust out the power drill with a larger drum sander on it and start making more of the grip..

I will also use 1" belt sander paper by hand to start shaping.  

Here are some pics...

So, that is where I stopped for today.  We got the christmas decor' out and started in on the house.  So it truly is starting to look a lot like christmas..  Cheers' everyone..

Offline Pennsyltuckey pete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
looking good brad,

Is that a Dremel or a Foredom?  My dremel gave out a few years ago.  I have since obtained a Foredome instead and wow what a difference.

pete
Love one woman, Many Bows

Offline Bradford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2010, 02:11:00 AM »
I have 4 dremels.. 3 plug in and 1 cordless.  The one has the flexible shaft, the other is a variable speed.. then I have one fixed speed that I put a mini planer on it..   I love all of them.  I have never used a Foredome.. will look into that.

I did not get the chance to work on the bows tonight.. was my wifes and I 19th anniversary.. so went out to dinner and did some Christmas shopping for the kids.. But I did get some wood in the mail today...

Got a piece of Bloodwood... Zebrawood and fiddle back maple.. what awesome wood.  Purchased from Bell Forest Products.  Great quality.  I would recommend.  Good pricing as well.

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
Congrats on the anniversary!  Sadly, many couples don't make it that far any longer...  My wife and I will hit 20 in January.   :)  

Bows are looking great BTW!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©